Only Runs From Left Hand Tank

Joe_Guitar

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 54” hustler fasttrak with a 21hp kawasaki engine. It is about 13 years old now.

Yesterday before cutting the lawn I filled both tanks from the same can of gas.

I had it feeding from the right tank. Ran fine for about a minute, then it acted like it ran out of gas - but there was at least 3 gallons in the tank.

Switched it over to the left tank and it ran fine. After about 1/2 hour of mowing switched it back over to the right tank and the same thing happened again.

Any ideas on what is wrong & what I should check?

Thanks
Joe

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sound like debris in the tank plugging the fuel outlet. Could be a hole in the pickup tube if the fuel line goes into the top of the tank instead of the bottom or debris in the pickup tube.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a 54” hustler fasttrak with a 21hp kawasaki engine. It is about 13 years old now.

Yesterday before cutting the lawn I filled both tanks from the same can of gas.

I had it feeding from the right tank. Ran fine for about a minute, then it acted like it ran out of gas - but there was at least 3 gallons in the tank.

Switched it over to the left tank and it ran fine. After about 1/2 hour of mowing switched it back over to the right tank and the same thing happened again.

Any ideas on what is wrong & what I should check?

Thanks
Joe
"Any ideas on what is wrong & what I should check?"

Sure, check for gas flow from that tank. Easy right? :D

slomo

Joe_Guitar

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks ilengine, I’ll check that.

slomo - i can change the oil & filter and simple stuff like that. Not a mechanic. I didn’t state it but was wondering if air has to get in there to get the gas to flow and there was something else to check other than a blocked line.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks ilengine, I’ll check that.

slomo - i can change the oil & filter and simple stuff like that. Not a mechanic. I didn’t state it but was wondering if air has to get in there to get the gas to flow and there was something else to check other than a blocked line.
You mean like a vented fuel tank cap? Or as plumbers say air behind water?

Remove the fuel hose off the suspect tank. See if it flows and fills a glass jar. If it does then it's your fuel tank valve or solenoid what ever it has. Sounds like something is stopping flow from that tank. Download your mower and engine manuals. Lots of good info in them.

slomo