On fuel and string

sofasurfer

Threads
I just bought a Stihl FS59. Sure wanted the 91 but not able today. Anyway, the 56 sounds like a beast and so far My little bit of weeds aren't even a legitimate test. Gotta go find some WEEDS! So, I bought some fresh 87 octane, filled it up and ran it a few minutes. THEN I read the manual and saw that it wants 89 MINIMUM. So I dumped it out in my truck and went to the station and bought a gallon of 98 octane. Would have gotten 93 but the manual says higher octane runs stronger, aside from less gumming. So I am going to try to change my habits and start using only 98 octane...unless you all tell me that 93 is plenty good enough.
Also, it came with .095 string and the guy said that .095 is really pushing it and that .105 is out of the question. What I am asking is, can I use my previously purchased .105 string on this trimmer? Will over size line cause excessive engine wear or just have trouble getting a good spin going?
Anything else I should know? Whats your experiences with the Stihl FS56 trimmer?
Thanks. I'm disappointed that I couldn't get the 91 but now I'm excited about having the 56.

Last edited:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Get some good Oregon Gatorline with the Kevlar core, I think I am running .105 alright.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you are not trying to cut down tree sized weeds then the heavier string should not be a problem if it does not slow the engine down.
Too heavy line puts a higher load on the engine and more important on the drive shaft and if it is a strait shaft the bevel gears.
Now if your trimmer runs the same bevel box as the next size up, you will be fine ( check the part numbers )
If your trimmer is the biggest that uses that bevel drive then you are pushing your luck .
If you are only doing light cutting with it then no worries
If you are doing heavy work in particular if the strings will be hitting hard surfaces like steel poles or wooden posts then cut it 1/2" shorter
I get a lot of trimmers that "won't rev"
Take out the ones with exhaust blocked by mudpluggers then running too thick a line is the next most common cause
Every bevel box I have needed to replace was on a trimmer when the owner was running line that was way too heavy .

mikehouse

Threads
I have FS 56 as well.I see you said you put gasoline in.Did you mix it 50:1?
I personally use Trufuel.Pre mixed with 93 NON ethanol fuel.Costs more but it's recommended.No muss,no fuss.Pour and go.I also prefer Husqvarna Titanium line.Size.95.You should do well with this combo.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Interesting about what octane rating manufacturers say a piece of equipment needs. I have a 92cc chainsaw with a ported cylinder, popup piston running 200psi compression and advanced timing. I run regular 87 gas in it and i have run probably 7 or 8 gallons of fuel through it without any preignition or detonation problems. Hard to believe a stock string trimmer needs a higher octane fuel. Just wondering.

mikehouse

Threads
Doesn't Stihl prefer you use 93 octane fuel in it's equipment?

Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes. But does it need it? They can recommend you need gold plated trimmer line but does it really need it. I know commercial guys who run trimmers hard and just use regular 87 with no problems.

sofasurfer

Threads
I gave my new Stihl 56 a good workout today. Man, am I pleased with this trimmer. I had issues with line melting together and not feeding well but I can excuse that because I was cutting a lot of really thick, heavy weeds. Maybe I'm not loading it properly. The manual says the the loading instructions are packaged with the head but as a preassembled machine I did not get any head loading instructions. (Anyone know where I can download them?) When I was into some lighter weeds it gave me no trouble. I am a little disappointed in the reloading process. The tabs that you squeeze to remove the spool are sometimes very hard to press in. Also, the process of getting the line to stay in the metal eyelet slots until you get the ring back on is a little difficult. I can see me buying a better head eventually. Other than that I am very happy. It has tons of power and starting it is a breeze. After it is warmed up it will restart on one (easy) pull every time. Seems to run a long time on a tank of gas. I'm running without the shoulder harness right now. I'm not used to that and its a bit awkward. Also I did a little (very little) sidewalk edging. Nice.

mikehouse

Threads
When everything comes together,that '56 is a beast huh? I like it too.Although I do miss my '70 at times.A real monster in itself.

sofasurfer

Threads
I finally figured out how to reload the spool. I have always had cheap trimmers that have to have the spool removed and manually loaded. How convenient if the dealer would have given my some instructions on loading. Also, I saw a video on youtube that stated that all Stihl trimmers come with safety glasses. Can anyone tell me if this is true, because I didn't get any. I also had to remind that guy to give me the scrench when I purchased it. I wounder what else I didn't get.