old push mower

cecil84

Forum Newbie
Threads
I found a push mower in the shed of a home recently purchased. I believe its a 1972 model SV180.It has the cast aluminum deck. I'am in the process of refurbishing it and was wondering if anyone knew the color red snapper used back then? If anyone has any other information on it would be very helpful.

HarmonySeeker

Threads
When I bring up 'Snapper 1972 model SV180', all I get are pictures of riders.
I'm afraid I won't be of much help here.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There should be an ID tag with a full model and serial numbers. Posting this will help us. If you don’t find it please post a couple of pictures.

upupandaway

Threads
Call me cheap, but i just used the spray paint at walmart on mine. I went with the darker of the reds. Being i masked the 21, u can see the new paint is a hair darker than the original. I also sprayed automotive clear coat. Not doing it and you will get rust spots everywhere in no time - in this case on the engine.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Couple classics there. That restored mower looks really nice. And well worth the time and effort to rebuild. What is the Briggs engine model/code on those mowers? The first pictured mower looks newer than a 72?

cecil84

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’m not going to put a lot of money on these, but it might help you.
Couple classics there. That restored mower looks really nice. And well worth the time and effort to rebuild. What is the Briggs engine model/code on those mowers? The first pictured mower looks newer than a 72?
i talked to Briggs and gave them code that who told me it was a 72.

cecil84

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the recommendations. I really like the clear coat idea.

upupandaway

Threads
Tom, Thanks. my mower label is 92908 1826 01 79020608 so made in early 79???
Cicil, if u do clearcoat, do not use the spray can stuff - it will flake off. Get it from the car paint store. If it is good enough for a car exposed to the elements, it must do wonders for a mower kept in the shed. So far 9 years knock, knock.

Last edited: