Old Lawn Boy with no spark.

Blackstar

Threads
Hello Guys. I found an old Lawn Boy on the side of the road (left there for trash). I can't find any information on this model. The tag says model 5239A and serial number is 55653. Manufacturer is Outboard Marine Corporation of Canada, Peterborough. It looks like it was recently used, clean air filter, still has gas in the tank. Problem is no spark. I cleaned the flywheel pads for the coil. Removed spark plug to check and no spark. I tested the plug in my other mower and it is good. Shows a spark. Champion RJ12C. No idea of what the gap should be. So, I'm thinking it must be the coil. Is there a way to test the coil before I buy a new one that may not be the problem? Anyone know where I can find info on this mower? Lawn Boy site doesn't recognize the model and serial numbers. Thank you for any info you can supply. ... Glenn.

FuzzyDriver

Threads
Yours is a 1972 model with a D engine. Sparkplug should be a Champion CJ-14; Gap: .025; Torque: About 12 ft-lb

Did you check that the on-off switch is allowing the coil to spark? If so, before buying a new coil, try heating it up. Get the coil hot to the touch with a heat gun or hair dryer if you have one. Otherwise, some guys remove it and heat it in the oven til it's good and hot. Sometimes that's all it takes to get the spark back. Otherwise, it does sound like a bad coil.

Blackstar

Threads
Thanks Fuzzy. Not sure if the on/off switch is working or not. But I can try heating the coil. That sounds like an easy one. ;) Looks to be in pretty good shape. There is a 1.5 inch hole in the side of the deck, probably from a rock and the donut type muffler is pretty seedy. If I can get it running it might be worth putting a few dollars in it.

trackfodder

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello Guys. I found an old Lawn Boy on the side of the road (left there for trash). I can't find any information on this model. The tag says model 5239A and serial number is 55653. Manufacturer is Outboard Marine Corporation of Canada, Peterborough. It looks like it was recently used, clean air filter, still has gas in the tank. Problem is no spark. I cleaned the flywheel pads for the coil. Removed spark plug to check and no spark. I tested the plug in my other mower and it is good. Shows a spark. Champion RJ12C. No idea of what the gap should be. So, I'm thinking it must be the coil. Is there a way to test the coil before I buy a new one that may not be the problem? Anyone know where I can find info on this mower? Lawn Boy site doesn't recognize the model and serial numbers. Thank you for any info you can supply. ... Glenn.
The Lawnboys have a weak point- they get water in the coil. Put it in a slow cooker on low for about 1 hour.