Old Command Twin Bogs Down, Bad Smell

mkillian

Threads
I have a Hustler 251K zero turn with a Kohler CV22S motor in it. It's old. I've noticed that when I turn quickly the motor slows down like it's going to stall, and a bad smell that smells like propane exhaust. On straightaways it revs back up and the smell goes away.
The oil also seems to be disappearing but I can't find a leak. I would expect some black smoke if it was burning oil though, and I don't see or smell it, the motor is in the front of this machine so you'd think it would be noticeable, but then, what do I know?
Last year I rebuilt the carburetor, put in new coils, cleaned the gas tank, new fuel pump, put in a new head/valves on one side, breather valve, air filter, fuel filter, oil filter. This year it's going to be a new starter as soon as it ships to me and I put a new hydro hose on it but that's a different topic I guess.
I am thinking I may need to do the pistons/rings. Is this really hard? Is there something else I haven't thought of?
Thanks in advance for your kind advice.

mkillian

Threads
Ok so I looked up how to do a compression test. A wet one and a dry one, and then you also have to hook an air compressor up to the thing to see if it leaks air.
If it has poor compression for the dry test it's the valves
if it has poor compression for the wet test it's the rings
the air test finds all kinds of bad gaskets everywhere if you can hear air hissing out of the various parts... ? Do I have this right?
I have done valves before but not pistons/rings. How hard are they compared to valves?