Oil Overfill??

Jagger2002

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Briggs and Stratton 17.5 hp 500 cc engine on my Craftsman riding lawn mower. Looking at the manual, it states the engine needs 48 fluid ounces plus 4 fluid ounces with oil filter change. In removing the oil, I drained it out completely and then replaced the oil filter. I didn;t put the oil plug back in until I finished replacing the oil filter. It should be completely drained. Yet why is my dipstick indicating overfull??? I have put in 46 ounces and I was expecting it to need around 52 fluid ounces? Any ideas. I don't want it overfull or underful. I want just the right amount.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
48 oz is probably the max crankcase capacity, the 4 extra ounces probably goes in the filter (prefill, then install filter)

Jagger2002

Forum Newbie
Threads
In the past, I did not prefill the oil filter and I didn't this time either. It is weird because I have changed the oil in this engine before. So the only thing I can think is the oil did not completely drain out for some reason or something is preventing the oil from settling within the engine (?) or maybe it will settle with time???? Although I have already let it set for 24 hours.

Also I did have some slight seeping of oil at the bottom of the rocker arm cover which I noticed when changing the spark plug. So I replaced the gasket for the rocker arm cover. Then I put the new oil in. I am just real nervous seeing the oil level on that dipstick.

I am really tempted to turn over the engine but I do not want to damage it either.

Jagger2002

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just went out and looked at the dipstick again. It is a good 1 1/4 inch over the fill mark. It is up to the first angled bend in the dipstick. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Also I just checked the manual directions. It does state to change the oil with the engine still warm. The engine was cold. However I doubt that would be the cause of my problem but I guess possible.

Last edited:

Jagger2002

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think I am just going to siphon out the excess until it hits the dipstick fill level and then crank it up and immediately shut it down. See if any change to the level. Crank up and run a little longer and check again. One more time and if still good, I will run it.

Jagger2002

Forum Newbie
Threads
No, no smell of gas. And I have siphoned out 12 ounces and I still have maybe 1/2 inch to go down on the dipstick. I put in 46 ounces minus the 12 I have pulled out, means 34 ounces in. And I am still siphoning it out. This just doesn't make sense.

What seems most logical is that not all the old oil drained out. I did have the left side of the mower on 1" boards. It gives a slight tilt to the frame so that the oil flows out to the side without anything accumulating under the frame. Maybe that is the problem.

Jagger2002

Forum Newbie
Threads
The more I think about it, the more I think the best thing to do is drain the oil out again. Keep the mower flat and refill it. $10 of oil down the drain but it will put my mind at ease. Maybe. I might refill it and still find it not taking the expected amount of oil. I have changed oil all my life and never run into this before.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
What;s the Model and Type numbers of the engine? they are stamped on the valve cover at the front of the engine

Jagger2002

Forum Newbie
Threads
On the valve cover model type 000E Second line 31R977 0043 g1 150 05za As far as I could read it.