Oil out of Air Filter?

googsmear

Forum Newbie
Threads
For whatever brilliant reason, I stored my push lawn mower over the winter on its two front wheel... (insert face palm here) When I opened up the storage unit, the floor was covered in oil from the push mower. It appears the oil had come out of the air filter(?) Am I going to have to take the engine apart and thoroughly clean it or am I able to just throw a new air filter on it and start her up? Thank you in advance.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Close, new air filter and plug are in order. You will have to do a couple other things also. First, get an old rag and put it under the spark plug hole and remove the spark plug. Will probably have oil flowing out the hole. Let sit for 5 minutes. Second, put another old rag (first one is probably oil soaked) over the spark plug hole. Pull the starter rope (bail back so it turn easy) slowly, as I suspect you will have oil gushing out. You will repeat this about a dozen times to get as much oil as possible out of the cylinder. Third, top off oil to mark. Fourth, clean the old spark plug with carb cleaner and dry it. Fifth, install old plug and start the engine outside with no air filter, as when it starts you will now have a fogging unit. It may be a little hard to start. Six, let the unit run until the smoke disappears, probably about 10 minutes. Sixth, change the oil now while it’s hot. Seventh, clean everything up and install new plug and air filter, You should now be good to go. You haven’t hurt anything but your pride and the size of your wallet. Good Luck.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IF you have to store a mower standing up then do it front wheels in the air so the oil will all drain to the back of the engine where there are no holes.
Same story for looking underneath .
A lot of mowers will actually stand upright all by themselves in this way after the handles are tripped .
A bit late now for you but a handy thing to get into the habit of so you can avoid a repeat performance.

googsmear

Forum Newbie
Threads
Close, new air filter and plug are in order. You will have to do a couple other things also. First, get an old rag and put it under the spark plug hole and remove the spark plug. Will probably have oil flowing out the hole. Let sit for 5 minutes. Second, put another old rag (first one is probably oil soaked) over the spark plug hole. Pull the starter rope (bail back so it turn easy) slowly, as I suspect you will have oil gushing out. You will repeat this about a dozen times to get as much oil as possible out of the cylinder. Third, top off oil to mark. Fourth, clean the old spark plug with carb cleaner and dry it. Fifth, install old plug and start the engine outside with no air filter, as when it starts you will now have a fogging unit. It may be a little hard to start. Six, let the unit run until the smoke disappears, probably about 10 minutes. Sixth, change the oil now while it’s hot. Seventh, clean everything up and install new plug and air filter, You should now be good to go. You haven’t hurt anything but your pride and the size of your wallet. Good Luck.
Thank You Very Much!!