oil leak

2ball

Threads
How do I figure out where this oil leak is comming from?
I assume all of that dust is stuck to oil that has leaked from the engine?
1LORlMB.jpg

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Might clean the block cooling fins while you are at it. Remove the top engine cover and get to cleaning. This is a yearly item in your engine manual.

2ball

Threads
So Im thinking a leak at the valve cover? I guess I clean the engine up, run it once and see where the new oil is?

it does not leak when it is sitting.

OldDiyer

Threads
By the looks of it could also be that valve cover itself may have a small hole in it due to the rust. I would do a good clean up first and then run it for a while to see if the leak shows up and then go from there.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The rocker cover is what I would suspect. But a good engine cleaning otherwise is in order too. Please if you replace the rocker cover transfer the model, type, and date code to the new cover by either stamping or engraving them. I prefer stamping vs engraving as it embosses the numbers. This make it easier the next time parts are need for the engine otherwise it is a guessing game as which parts are right.

2ball

Threads
I took the rocker cover off cleaned it up and put it back on. The bolt in the lower right position in the photo was not as tight as the other ones. Hopefully that fixed the leak.
I'm very impressed with the foam spray engine degreaser from Walmart. Only took about 10 minutes to clean the engine. I tried to be careful spraying it off, but a lot of stuff got wet.

Do I let it air dry or start it up and let it heat up and dry?

On a side note, Why doesn't this board spell check?

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
maybe because most browsers have build-in spell checkers. But even if the forum had auto correct correctly spelled misspelled words would this get posted as entered.

Last edited:

2ball

Threads
It's spellchecking now. you can right click and turn it on.

Lawn Addict
Threads
So did you also remove the engine cover (Blower housing ) & clean the whole engine.. Very good maintenance to keep engine from overheating & dying.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
So did you also remove the engine cover (Blower housing ) & clean the whole engine.. Very good maintenance to keep engine from overheating & dying.
What did you say?