Oil leak under the motor

Patrick T.

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the same problem. I started it to warm it up, when I turned it off, a puddle of oil. Please just let me know the cause and repair and parts list, so far I have VALVE COVER GASKET, SOME SEALER and yes I found some loose bolts.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
We are not there and cannot see what engine you have so if you could provide the model number of the engine as well as the model number of the mower that will get us started down a repair path. Leaking under the engine could be the crankshaft seal or could be the base sump gasket leaking and running under the engine. Will need to clean up everything and run it a little while and then look for the leak. I have even found one sump that had a casting flaw that allowed it to leak through the metal but that was on a new mower.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
But we supposedly have magical powers and can see over the wires. Now the op might someone will just totally guess at things. Some shops here will do it just to sell parts.

This is why I clean an engine or other equipment that uses oil, install UV dye, run for up to 30 minutes, and then do UV scan of the equipment.

Here is an example of some the engines I get in. Now where is the oil leak.
P02-19-05_18.22.jpg

Just did a pair Hydro Gear pumps to find the leaks. Oil and dirt was everywhere. It turn out to be a $0.19 ($1.35 if shipping is included) o-ring that if you look up the pump Hydro Gear only offers a $35+ seal kit. Even though I have the seal kit on hand I rather just the one bad o-ring instead of pulling the pump from the Super Z (lots of unnecessary work avoided).

I did a Honda GX390 a couple years ago on a pressure washer where oil appeared to be leaking somewhere around the flywheel but with the UV dye the problem was traced to an oil fill cap seal and was distance from the apparent leak location.

Last edited: