Oil Leak On Scag Mower

Magsrgod

Threads
Hello! I’m having an oil leak on my Scag mower, looks I ran it most of least year with it, there was a fair amount of oil on the engine and the plate underneath the engine was coated.

Here’s a picture of where its leaking, I assume it might be the head gasket. What else should I be looking for in this area?

Thanks!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Rocker cover leaking. Some have gaskets; others are RTVed in place.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Stamped steel they use silicone to seal these and a lot of them leak. When you take them off to fix them I would adjust the valves as well.

Magsrgod

Threads
Thanks guys, I can pick up a tube of RTV for this. Is there any chance there is RTV plus a gasket? I saw Some YouTube videos showing both.

Probably out of my league but how would I go about adjusting the valves? I believe I have all the tools that would be needed for the adjustment, I just don’t know what the adjustment should be.

EatPreyMow

Threads
Kohler is generous with service manuals and you should find them with The Google. Youtube for the valve lash

The first time I set valve lash I had to do it over after the first try so I advise you to test the engine first and RTV the valve covers back on after you're certain you set the lash correctly.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
You didn't share the engine model number so it would be just a guess if your engine even needs a valve adjustment. Kohler uses hydraulic lifters on many of their engines and they do not require adjusting. If your engine is a Kohler Command then you have hydraulic lifters and no adjustment is needed or even able to be done. Since you have stamped steel rocker covers I'll assume you have either a Courage or a 7000 series engine. I don't believe any of the Commands are using stamped steel covers.

Your valve adjustment on a Courage or 7000 series is .004 to .006. Once you are satisfied with your valve adjustment and are ready to seal the covers here is my tried and true recommendation. Clean the cover thoroughly as well as the contact area of the head. Make sure there is no oil residue left inside the rocker cover that can run down on the sealing area. Use Loctite 598 and don't use too much. Reassembly and tighten to proper torque. Now the MOST important part. Do not start the engine for roughly 24 hours if at all possible. I don't care what the manual says or what the tube of sealant says. Letting it sit for roughly 24 hours will help ensure the repair holds for a long time.

When I was doing training seminars and would have maybe 60 guys in the seminar there were always those who would complain about leaking stamped steel rocker covers. I would then poll the room and ask how many of you do NOT have problems sealing leaking stamped steel rocker covers. I'd get maybe 1/3 or the room raise their hands. I would ask them what is your secret? They all would say the same thing. LET IT SIT for 24 hours. I know 24 hours isn't going to be feasible for everyone but give it as much time as possible. JMHO