Oil leak and can't take off flywheel

martingale

Forum Newbie
Threads
My craftsman got an oil leak, seems coming from right below fly wheel , but I can't take it off. Stuck with the key path there at the center of the flywheel
Shall I use force with a wrench ?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Screw the nut back on flush with the top of the crank threads, or just a hair above,
Get a prybar and a hammer, a sturdy, long Screw driver will sometimes work, while prying the flywheel up , whack the nut with the hammer, it may take a whack or two.
Just be sure you arent hitting the crankshaft itself as you will ruin the threads, make sure the nut is just above flush with the crank.

Tinkerer200

Threads
Might help if you posted what engine you are talking about. One caution, using the method above runs the risk of punching a hole in the top of the engine block. I have pictures of just that from using the described method.

Walt Conner

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Might help if you posted what engine you are talking about. One caution, using the method above runs the risk of punching a hole in the top of the engine block. I have pictures of just that from using the described method.

Walt Conner
Exactly why I don't ever recommend that method. I always use a puller whenever possible.

Tinkerer200

Threads
If you are lucky enough to pry over a re-enforcing Web, you may get by with it. IF you pry between re-enforcing webs, the casting is very thin.
Walt Conner

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
There are good reasons not the hit the end of the crankshaft. One is that you might break off the end of the crankshaft (I've personally done that).

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
If that's a small engine have someone hold up the motor by the flywheel, then whack the crank a couple licks. I'll sometimes put some heat on the flywheel around the center to help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Another job for the air hammer in my workshop.
A lot less violent than the 10 lb sledge

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The answer is always a bigger hammer.what was the question?