Oil in air filter compartment

sparkync

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an old Toro riding lawn mower, model # 71199. The brake spring that comes from the brake bracket to the "brake arm" that comes from the brake pedal came off. In an attempt to hook it back up, like a dummy, I rolled the lawn mower on it's side, thinking I could get to it. Bad mistake. Of course oil filled the air filter compartment. I took the air filter out, cleaned out the oil the best I could, sprayed some "engine starter spray" into it, and it only cranks using the spray, then it dies. I checked the spark plug and dried it off, but still the same thing. What do I do next? Just keep trying till it finally burns out the oil, or is there something else I can do? Thanks from a dummy:(

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The oil filter is no more, replace it
Remove the carburettor and clean it as well.
It ain't a 2 stroke so likes its fuel neat .

ccdk

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am one of the dummies as well. But what is the best way to check/fix without rolling the lawn mower on it's side?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You raise the riding mower up with a floor jack or other jack and put on jack stands for safety. Beside rolling the mower on its side is a good way to cause other damage too. You don't roll your car is it side to do under carriage repairs do you? Besides your car will probably just keep rolling over on to its top.

Even push mowers you don't roll them on the side except for those require you to so to change the oil.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Push mowers, trip the handles then stand them up on their bum
Most will actually stand up like that without any support.
For ride ons I use a yard crane now to do the same thing
Before that it was an engine crane and before that a chain block from the rafters and before that a winch
ZTR's mostly go the other way, hoist from the back so the heads are up