Oil change on Murray with Briggs and Stratton 500E engine.

MowManWV

Threads
  • / Oil change on Murray with Briggs and Stratton 500E engine.
A mowing client gave me this mower, left outside for God knows how long. I got her going after adding some oil and removing the beyond-clogged air filter. I have since replaced the filter with a new one.

I want to do an oil change but can't seem to find a drain plug. IS THERE A DRAIN PLUG?

Youtube videos show a guy turning the mower upside down! Is that how this goes?

Thanks!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Most newer briggs don't have drain plugs... empty them out of the dipstick tube hole or use a suction pump.

MowManWV

Threads
Thank you but that's a design disgrace!

I went ahead and dumped the old oil out, managed to do so without one drop spilled. However, how many people ended up with big messes, smashed fingers, etc. having to do it this way???

If I ever do a rebuild on such an engine, I'll put my own drain plug in. :mad:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Part of the reason for no drain plug is there is a bunch of mowers that don't have access to the bottom of the engine either due to the area being closed in or due to self propel systems. So it was just a thing to make the engines a nickel cheaper for something that you couldn't use if you wanted. Now try a no drain plug, drain out the dipstick tube on a front tine tiller. And that did happen.

MowManWV

Threads
It's still a bad design.

Now that I learn this.......definitely keeping my old mower as long as I can! I have one with a drain plug. Never letting it go!

smhardesty

Threads
This is an older thread, but it is also exactly what I was going to ask about. I haven't tinkered with many small engines in the past few years and I guess I've missed some major changes. I just picked up a Remington mower with a Briggs engine. I spent a couple of hours today disassembling part of it, cleaning everything up, checking everything I could, installing a new plug, and installing a new air filter. I got ready to drain the oil and discovered what MowManWV also discovered.

I guess there is a valid reason for them doing this, but it sure is a hassle to do a simple oil change on these engines. Since I'm doing some minor repairs and servicing for customers, as well as buying mowers to refurb and sell, I think I'll invest in an oil extractor kit. I manage to make enough messes on my own without trying to turn mowers and tillers nearly upside down to drain the oil. LOL!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This is an older thread, but it is also exactly what I was going to ask about. I haven't tinkered with many small engines in the past few years and I guess I've missed some major changes. I just picked up a Remington mower with a Briggs engine. I spent a couple of hours today disassembling part of it, cleaning everything up, checking everything I could, installing a new plug, and installing a new air filter. I got ready to drain the oil and discovered what MowManWV also discovered.

I guess there is a valid reason for them doing this, but it sure is a hassle to do a simple oil change on these engines. Since I'm doing some minor repairs and servicing for customers, as well as buying mowers to refurb and sell, I think I'll invest in an oil extractor kit. I manage to make enough messes on my own without trying to turn mowers and tillers nearly upside down to drain the oil. LOL!
and risk physical injury

smhardesty

Threads
and risk physical injury

That's no joke. I expect anybody could injure himself trying to balance a mower or tiller on it's side, but for old farts like me, it's an even greater possibility. If I move my back the wrong way, turn my knee just right, or overreach a tad bit, I could end up in the E.R. LOL!