Oh boy I did it now! Honda 160

Zuke

Forum Newbie
Threads
I picked up an older Yardman mower with a Honda 160 engine. Soon after I had a woman ask if I had a good mower. Yes I said, but when I was getting ready to bring it to her, I noticed an oil streak below the governor shaft area. This motor had not been running since I last cut grass 3-4 weeks ago. But from what was on the mower when I got it and seeing the amount from statically sitting. I decided to research and found out about the seal that can minimize the oil weeping. I was going to make some decent cash on this mower and I didn’t want to give this lady any reason to question her buying it.

Ordered and Received the seal. Unfortunately, I lost the shaft while trying to seat the seal.

I have been trying all manners of ways to retrieve the shaft with no luck. I do not have very much experience with engines internally. And absolutely none with Honda engines.

Can anyone advise me on the easiest approach to opening this case? Remember I literally have no idea of what I may encounter during splittin the case. Does the engine need to be removed from the mower? How about the flywheel? Do I need any gaskets or things to watch out for?

I appreciate everyone’s time in helping me out. I know it takes time to just post a reply.

And by the way. I don’t recommend installing this seal if you don’t have to. I should have just sent a few links that describe the known leak of Honda engines to the woman. I then would have suggested to her to wipe up the oil before mowing. I’m bummed out!

Can anyone help steer me in the right direction?

Last edited:

Jim S

Threads
I picked up an older Yardman mower with a Honda 160 engine. Soon after I had a woman ask if I had a good mower. Yes I said, but when I was getting ready to bring it to her, I noticed an oil streak below the governor shaft area. This motor had not been running since I last cut grass 3-4 weeks ago. But from what was on the mower when I got it and seeing the amount from statically sitting. I decided to research and found out about the seal that can minimize the oil weeping. I was going to make some decent cash on this mower and I didn’t want to give this lady any reason to question her buying it.

Ordered and Received the seal. Unfortunately, I lost the shaft while trying to seat the seal.

I have been trying all manners of ways to retrieve the shaft with no luck. I do not have very much experience with engines internally. And absolutely none with Honda engines.

Can anyone advise me on the easiest approach to opening this case? Remember I literally have no idea of what I may encounter during splittin the case. Does the engine need to be removed from the mower? How about the flywheel? Do I need any gaskets or things to watch out for?

I appreciate everyone’s time in helping me out. I know it takes time to just post a reply.

And by the way. I don’t recommend installing this seal if you don’t have to. I should have just sent a few links that describe the known leak of Honda engines to the woman. I then would have suggested to her to wipe up the oil before mowing. I’m bummed out!

That’s too bad, I think your

That’s too bad, I think you’re gonna have to open it up. On the bright side, you have figured out how to correctly replace the $2.00 seal.ive done a few, wathched you tube first. Good luck