Off topic.. Reading a micrometer

Stryped

Threads
Trying to teach myself to read and calibrate a micrometer. Can anyone tell me this reading?View recent photos 2.pngScreenshot 2022-05-27 at 9.48.39 AM.png

upupandaway

Threads
Looks like 1.045- looking at an angle and all...

Stryped

Threads
How can I insure I am reading it right and it is accurate?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well usually you have a copy of the owners manual that give you the needed instructions or at mine did before someone stole the tool.

upupandaway

Threads
I see the full line plus a hair of the shadow for 1.0 on the scale. If it less then you wouldn't see the 1.0 line or barely see it. Anyway, that's what I see.

Looking at a video, it appears it has been too long since i used one as I am reading on the wrong side of the line and reading up instead of down.....

Attachments

• mic.jpg
    mic.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
the photos show two different readings. Guessing that is a 0 - 1" mic since you did not show that marking, one reading looks to be about .9994" and the other .9996".
Using a mic is more than reading it. It is knowing when to read it, and how to hold it without the heat from your hand changing it. If you lay it in the sun or under a bright lamp that warms it, the reading will change. You also need a standard or gauge block to check it once in awhile, most kits have one in it.

Stryped

Threads
Well usually you have a copy of the owners manual that give you the needed instructions or at mine did before someone stole the tool.
Mine did not have instructions. It’s from harbor freight but don’t yell at me……