Odd selnoid issue

Threads
This feels like theres a obvious answer but I just spent a few hours and couldn't figure it out so here go's. I got a Kubota TG1860G with a Kawasaki FD590V. Starter was spinning but not poping up and engaging the flywheel consistently. I bought a new selinoid and installed and when I hook up the negitive terminal on the battery the starter goes. (I think backwards though) ??? Still doesn't pop up but it spins without the key on or selinoid control wire hooked up. I tested and I'm getting constant power at both terminals and the casing on the selinoid has postive voltage (and thus the whole engine) and continuity with the constant power post on the selinoid. Can somebody tell me why this is??? Feels like something simple but its avoiding me.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I believe the problem lies within the starter itself.

geelee

Threads
hooking up the 2 small wires backwards will not cause a problem. this is a solenoid shift starter so there is only 1 wire. you may have a voltage drop so it doesnt go all the way in. take a screw driver and short between the battery wire and the small post and see if it works that way

Last edited:
Threads
Thanks all for your replies. Geelee is right one wire on the selinoid. Shorting the 2 terminals does nothing. None of those options really explains why it's spinning without the key one though, even tried disconnecting the control wire and it still goes. I'm going to put the old selinoid on and at least see if I can get the starter to stop spinning.

Threads
I figured it out. I didn't get the selinoid plunger meshed with the starter and it was holding the selinoid down and making it always on. I installed it correctly and now it won't turn at all, but I can figure that out myself. Thanks for your help.