OCT 2021 Purchase at 2022 Pricing

estreetah

Forum Newbie
Threads
I went in to purchase a new Scag zero turn. I expected the 2021 pricing and they have charged me the 2022 rates. Does this sound correct? The mower will have to be found yet and shipped. What if the mower is a 2021 model when it arrives? Thanks.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Mowers don't really go by model year, and most manufacturers start their new pricing on October 1 or with the increase of materials and hard to source parts sometimes they may change sooner.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I went in to purchase a new Scag zero turn. I expected the 2021 pricing and they have charged me the 2022 rates. Does this sound correct? The mower will have to be found yet and shipped. What if the mower is a 2021 model when it arrives? Thanks.

Kind of a bummer, ain't it? Seems like only a few years ago, there would be year end clearance sales. Maybe that was back in August or September. If so, I missed it too.
Some dealerships have to reduce their prices at some point in the year because they're required to have new models on their show room floor. I think Stihl is one of those. Or used to be.
I'm guessing something has either changed. Or maybe it was never actually that way with dealers, only big box stores.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Kind of a bummer, ain't it? Seems like only a few years ago, there would be year end clearance sales. Maybe that was back in August or September. If so, I missed it too.t
Some dealerships have to reduce their prices at some point in the year because they're required to have new models on their show room floor. I think Stihl is one of those. Or used to be.
I'm guessing something has either changed. Or maybe it was never actually that way with dealers, only big box stores.
What changed is there was a lot of dealers that never received their 2021 stock. They never had the product to sell so no reason to reduce the prices. And prices where so volatile that you were afraid to even quote a customer a price due to unseen price increase. My nephews new trailer that he ordered in March came in the first of this month and the price had increased $800 over the price he was told in March. At the same time there was another customer that had his new gooseneck delivered to the dealer. The price increase in that case was $4800 over what the price was at the time of the guy ordering it. And the customer was told that if he didn't want it at the new higher price he would understand because the price increase was beyond his control, and there was no way he could absorb the added cost.

Mower King

Threads
Well for one thing....the price of steel has went up 215% since less than a year ago. The manufacturer can absorb some of that cost but the end buyer has too come up with the rest of it! I don't know when the USA will figure out not to sell foreign countries steel for xx, then turn around and buy it back for xxxx! Someone with a lot of power is getting there pockets full!

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
This my friend is not the dealer or Scags fault, it’s inflation ! Blame is with the Feds.
More like Brandon Biden.

I have a feeling. That is some rich person in the US Gov or some zillionaire, figured out, hey, lets turn ONE cargo ship sideways in the Panama Canal. We can price gouge the eyes out of the world. $$$$ Don't they have tugs to prevent this at the Canal? Just like Billy Gates owning the lab in China where covid "leaked" from. Is there any profit in covid? $$$$ Think about it. Hey let's invade Iraq. Guy has WMD. Bushy says okay. $$$$ What ever the event is in the news, someone is making money on it.

So what is the deal on used and new car prices? Someone stop making steel for cars and trucks? Oh not enough workers to offload the ships? LOL 90% of my state doesn't work at all. Drive around on any day of the week. Roads are full. Help wanted signs at the front door of every business you can think of. Start looking for these signs next time you go out. Then count them up LOL. $$$$

estreetah

Forum Newbie
Threads
Excellent points. Well I probably end up taking the hit on this new mower but guess I'll have to do what I have to. Thanks.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well for one thing....the price of steel has went up 215% since less than a year ago. The manufacturer can absorb some of that cost but the end buyer has too come up with the rest of it! I don't know when the USA will figure out not to sell foreign countries steel for xx, then turn around and buy it back for xxxx! Someone with a lot of power is getting there pockets full!

When I sold my house, where my first shop was, I scrapped a lot of mowers. Many loads to the scrap yard. One load, had 4 riders, 3 push mower and some two cycle stuff. I got like $45 for that load.
Last year, when I shut the in town shop down, I scrapped the mowers. That same weigh brought over $130 last year, vs the yeara before. 4 loads I ended up with over $500.

So if you got any scrap laying around, now is a good time to junk it.