Number of needles in rod bearing on Lawn Boy model 7268

Bill52

Threads
  • / Number of needles in rod bearing on Lawn Boy model 7268
I am new here and new to Lawn Boy fixit. I am replacing crankshaft on model 7268 and need to know how many needles should be in rod bearing. Also, the best way to put them back in place now that I got this thing torn apart. I have 33 needles which are presently soaking in rubbing alcohol to clean up. I hope I haven't lost any. This is the F engine. Serial number 9790726. Thanks for any help. I have looked on line for this info but to no avail.

Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't know the number off hand but you use grease to stick them to the crank journal then put the rod on. Should be no gaps between the needles.

Bill52

Threads
Don't know the number off hand but you use grease to stick them to the crank journal then put the rod on. Should be no gaps between the needles.
Thanks for the info about the grease stick. I have never heard of such an animal. I hope plain grease works since I have no grease stick.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
You use any grease to make the needles stick to the crank journal

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
You need that special Lawn Boy bearing installation grease, $33.95 for a two ounce tube.

Just kidding, welcome to the forum !

Bill52

Threads
OK. I used some boat trailer axle grease to make needles stick and got the rod re-attached using the 33 needles. Now can anyone tell this rookie what kind of stuff the factory is using on the threads of the 4 bolts that hold the crankcasse together? Some kind of white looking stuff. Is that anti-seize or lock tight? Also, looks like there was some kind of liquid gasket on the two crankcase halves. Any suggestions on what to use there? I have some black liquid gasket stuff. "Form a gasket", I think it's called. One last question, at least for now; do you normally soak and regrease the crankshaft bearings? If so, is kerosene OK to soak in and what do you regrease them with? Is the boat axle grease OK? Thanks for the help. I am trying to do this without spending any more money and without going to get new parts.