Nothing when key is turned

Topdog@2021

Forum Newbie
Threads
Dixie Chopper model Zee 2, Kohler engine. Cutting grass, two front wheels stuck in a hole. Couldn't get out. Mower still running. Turned mower off. Used 2x4 under front frame to muscle mower most of the way out of the hole. Got on seat, turned key, nothing. Not a sound, no ticking, nothing. Anyone have any idea what has happened? Any suggestions on what I can check out myself? If I can't get it to start, I have a whole new problem of getting out of my yard and onto a trailer to go to shop. Thanks in Advance.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did you turn the PTO switch off when you cut it off and forget to turn it off to start it back?

jdloyd01

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey there. I have Zee 2 as well with the same issue. Turned off to talk with my son and it wouldn't start. Acted like one of the kill switches wasn't set. I checked and double checked all the switches. Pto, seat, parking break, and both steering arms.

Finally got it running by jumping across the starter solenoid. It ran, so I'm thinking the Pto or brake switch is bad. Maybe.

One last thing I noticed was what looks like a code when I turn the key off. It displays "1079.5" Is this an error code?

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looks like an hour meter but that looks like a lot of hours for a ZEE 2. Things I have seen on these machines are brake switch no activating properly. Lever not pushing the switch plunger if far enough. PTO switch start circuit faulty. Make sure all switches are plugged in properly.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The blue wires are the cranking circuit
That includes the
So one at a time pull the plugs off the switches and jump the blue wires
And that includes the light blue to dark blue at the PTO switch plug and red to blue at the key switch plug
I like to start at the key switch because I can check for battery voltage at the red wire .
No voltage = broken wire or blown fuse
Low voltage = corrosion or burning, again usually found at the fuse .
If you get to the end and still nothing made the engine crank then make up a long jumper with 2 x 1/4" male terminals to jump between the individual plugs
Remember in this case as you have 2 plugs pulled off you need to jump to the output side of the socket
The purpose of this is to bypass the wire between the switches and the switches themselves looking for a bad connecting wire .

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did you set the park brake.