No spark on MTD snow thrower

Mitsu

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an MTD Yard Machines snow thrower that wont turn over or start. It seems to not be getting any spark. I have installed 3 different brand new ignition coils and still no spark. I'm assuming the new coils were bad. Is it common to get that many bad parts? Is there a way to test the coil before I take it from the store? FYI- the engine is a Tecumseh HSSK50 67376P (H). I have also wire brushed the rust off of the flywheel, and the area where the coil mounting screws attach. I disconnected the wire on the coil that attaches to the grounding circuit-still no spark.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First the coil you need is a 34443D, just want to make sure you are getting the correct part. Section, are you setting the armature air gap at.010”. If the coil is good, no kill wire connected, and gap set correctly, you should have spark. Here is a service manual for future reference. https://www.manualslib.com/products/Tecumseh-Hssk50-2082245.html

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Hopefully you did power brush the flywheel magnets as that can screw up the magnetism.

Take a 10' flat blade screw, place the tip on the magnet while the magnets are upright with the handle sticking out. This is so the weight of the screwdriver is applied to the magnets. If the screwdriver don't fall off at least they are still magnetized; although, polarity might be if powered wired brushed.

Now if properly magnetized and you haven't installed the coils upside then it is possible the coils are bad.

As testing the coils there is no way to test them other than installing and having the flywheel magnets passing it at starting speed.

smalltimerpm

Threads
Maybe check power to coil...

Last edited:

smalltimerpm

Threads
Meaning a bad on/off switch....and or are you using the same spark plug you started with at first with no fire

smalltimerpm

Threads
Either way as he said in his first post if it won't turn over....(LOL)it won't start nor have spark! Maybe the spark is in the post! Never know