No Compression

Hottech

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Briggs and Stratton 11092-0113 f1 single cylinder overhead valves has no compression. Replaced head gasket,seated and adjusted valves. Was wondering if I need to replace the camshaft? Would the camshaft cause me not to have compression?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Before tearing into the engine, I would check for a blown head gasket.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Please verify model number posted as I find no Briggs with that model number. Even just using the type number; nothing is close.

1651059718779.png

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
@StarTech My suspicions is the model is a 111P02-0113-F1. that model has the camshaft with the plastic gear. So there is the possibility of a slipped gear or slipped teeth or broken teeth.

I would pull the valve cover back off and also pull the spark plug. Then either find something to indicate the piston position or shine a light down the spark plug hole and while turning the crank what the valves. What you are looking for is the relationship between the piston position with the valves. Like exhaust valve open with the piston half way down the cylinder.

The idea is to find if the piston and the valves appear to be timed correctly without having to tear down the engine. And with a compression release mechanism on the camshaft feel of compression may not be accurate. Worked on a generator a few years back that had 5% leakdown when tested with a leakdown gauge, but only showed 5 psi of compression.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
how are you testing for compression?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
My Briggs and Stratton 11092-0113 f1 single cylinder overhead valves has no compression. Replaced head gasket,seated and adjusted valves. Was wondering if I need to replace the camshaft? Would the camshaft cause me not to have compression?
Have you tested for no compression? As in with a gauge?

A bad cam could cause no compression.

Remove valve cover and turn the engine over. See if the valves open and close. Maybe the rockers are not set proper? Bent push rods?

Which stroke were the valves set on? There are 2 TDC strokes on a 4 smoke engine.

Did you lap the head and head gasket area prior to installing the new head gasket? This needs to be checked.

shinkle

Threads
Have you tested for no compression? As in with a gauge?

A bad cam could cause no compression.

Remove valve cover and turn the engine over. See if the valves open and close. Maybe the rockers are not set proper? Bent push rods?

Which stroke were the valves set on? There are 2 TDC strokes on a 4 smoke engine.

Did you lap the head and head gasket area prior to installing the new head gasket? This needs to be checked.

How do you know which TDC stroke to use to set valves? Is there a way to determine which stroke is the correct one to use?

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
one should rotate the engine and watch the valves to figure where TDC is on the compression stroke, then if the manufacturer specifies a specific drop past that measure the piston drop before adjusting the valves.