New to me Snapper RER question.

Mike72903

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just acquired a well used 2812523bve. Belt was shot. When I removed the black plastic cover the entire area under the cover was jamb packed with grass clippings. Around all the pullies, springs and such. Packed together so hard I had to use a screw driver to break them up. Is that normal? Hard to believe if so. Maybe I’m missing something, a diverter or the like, to prevent that? Also the blade engagement arm will not go far enough forward to correctly engage in the notch where it should lock in when pressing down the pedal that locks it there. This is the 2 part assembly with the flip handle on the top and the top flip handle hits the blade engagement pedal before the metal lower arm goes into the notch. From the look of the lower arm this was a long standing issue. The seller stated it would sometimes drop out while in use. I can see why lol. Anyway, don’t see an adjustment for this. Do I need a new blade engagement arm? Maybe an issue with the upped flip part? Thanks.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

Last edited:

ken2

Threads
It's common for the RERs to get packed full under the belt cover. Problem is worse when using a mulching blade. Only way to keep them half way clean is to blow them out with compressed air once in a while. The lever shouldn't hit the pedal. I'm wondering if the belt is stretched out too much or if the lever is bent?

Mike72903

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's common for the RERs to get packed full under the belt cover. Problem is worse when using a mulching blade. Only way to keep them half way clean is to blow them out with compressed air once in a while. The lever shouldn't hit the pedal. I'm wondering if the belt is stretched out too much or if the lever is bent?
Thanks Ken2. it was a bent lever that prevented total engagement. No wonder the seller had issues of it “dropping out”. It was just being held in by side pressure of the depressed petal as it couldn’t go far enough to engage the notch. The belt condition didn’t help.

sheenist

Threads
While I don't recommend this, that plastic cover is the first thing that I throw away. Ken2 has the safe way to use them. That being said, I have used 3 Snapper RER's for the last 40 some years and no problems. I would not do this if children use it.
Sheenist

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Keep the belt cover where it is. Use your blower after you mow and blow it out. Not very complicated.

Mine never clogs up under there.

ken2

Threads
Just acquired a well used 2812523bve. Belt was shot. When I removed the black plastic cover the entire area under the cover was jamb packed with grass clippings. Around all the pullies, springs and such. Packed together so hard I had to use a screw driver to break them up. Is that normal? Hard to believe if so. Maybe I’m missing something, a diverter or the like, to prevent that? Also the blade engagement arm will not go far enough forward to correctly engage in the notch where it should lock in when pressing down the pedal that locks it there. This is the 2 part assembly with the flip handle on the top and the top flip handle hits the blade engagement pedal before the metal lower arm goes into the notch. From the look of the lower arm this was a long standing issue. The seller stated it would sometimes drop out while in use. I can see why lol. Anyway, don’t see an adjustment for this. Do I need a new blade engagement arm? Maybe an issue with the upped flip part? Thanks.
100% normal for them to be packed full under the plastic cover. They need to be blown out with an air compressor once in a while. The engagement lever often gets bent so it won't engage completely.