New to forum and advise on purchasing a new electric mower

shekie777

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / New to forum and advise on purchasing a new electric mower
Hello, just found this excellent forum. I am looking to replace an older gas mower, like the idea of going "green". My front yard is approx. 3000 sq. ft., flat with minimal obstacles. My back yard is much larger, approx. 7000 sq. ft., also flat, with a few more obstacles (trees, bushes etc.). I usually do the front one weekend, the back the next weekend and alternate. I'm intrigued by the new electric cordless machines, like the idea of no emissions, no gas smell, much quieter so mowing in the morning won't disturb the neighbors.

I have seen three machines at Lowes, Black & Decker SPCM 1936, (they have it on clearance), Greenworks 25302, the twin 10" blade version, and the Greenworks 25223, the single 19" blade version. The B&D and the 25302 are $400, the 25223 is $350. Given my yard, any recommendations? I am not someone who has to have the perfect lawn, but I would like a machine that can cut effectively, quietly, and provides enough battery life to be able to deal with that 7000 sq. ft. back yard on a single charge. Thanks...

MowerMike

Threads
First, welcome to the Lawn Mower Forum. My recommendation hands down is the Greenworks Model 25302 twin blade lawn mower. It provides the longest run time, greatest cutting power, best bag design, lightest weight and best overall performance of those 3 mowers you listed. It will easily cut both your front and rear yards on a single charge of the two supplied batteries. I've been using mine for 3 months w/o any problems.

shekie777

Forum Newbie
Threads
First, welcome to the Lawn Mower Forum. My recommendation hands down is the Greenworks Model 25302 twin blade lawn mower. It provides the longest run time, greatest cutting power, best bag design, lightest weight and best overall performance of those 3 mowers you listed. It will easily cut both your front and rear yards on a single charge of the two supplied batteries. I've been using mine for 3 months w/o any problems.

Mower Mike, thanks for replying. I've pretty much ruled out the Black & Decker because of the heavy weight. Could you compare the two Greenworks models if you are familiar with the 25223 as well as the one you own? In particular, what does the extra $50 get me? Thanks...

MowerMike

Threads
Mower Mike, thanks for replying. I've pretty much ruled out the Black & Decker because of the heavy weight. Could you compare the two Greenworks models if you are familiar with the 25223 as well as the one you own? In particular, what does the extra $50 get me? Thanks...

I own the 25302, but not the 25223. However, I have seen the 25223 at the Lowe's store and looked at the specifications on the box and made some measurements. First off, the cutting path on the 25302 is 19", due to a 1" overlap of the two 10" blades, and the cutting path of the 25223 is 17.5", since the actual blade length is only 17.5". So, the twin blade model 25302 will cut a 1.5" wider path than the single blade model 25223, which can significantly add to the number of passes and cutting time for your 10,000 sq ft yard. Both mowers come with the same batteries, a large 4 Ah (146 Wh) battery and a small 2 Ah (73 Wh) battery. However, the run time is greater with the twin blade mode, due to its power management system, which adjusts motor power draw and blade speed to cutting conditions. It's basically impossible to stall the twin blade model, and you can continue walking at the same pace even in very thick or tall grass. I have read complaints of the single model struggling or even stalling in hard conditions. The twin blade model can run up to 70 minutes, whereas the 25223 will run only about 45 minutes on a full charge of both batteries. Also, the twin blade carries both batteries onboard, and automatically switches batteries when one of them gets discharged, but you have to stop and manually switch batteries on the 25223 when one is spent, since it only carries one battery on board.

Other advantages of the 25302 over the 25223 are a deck that extends beyond the width of the rear wheels to permit very close cutting near walls and fences and even trimming at walkways and driveways. The bag design is better too, with non-porous plastic top, a bag full indicator, comfortable built-in handle, very large front opening and a second non-porous lining on the interior on the mower discharge side that extends to the rear of the bag to minimize dust blowout when mowing in dry conditions. About the only thing you don't get with the 25302 is a side discharge option, which I never use, since I only mulch or bag my clippings. Also, the 25223 offers 7 height adjustment positions instead of the 5 positions on 25302, which again is not a problem for me, since the 25302 has a sufficient range of cutting heights for my needs.

shekie777

Forum Newbie
Threads
I own the 25302, but not the 25223. However, I have seen the 25223 at the Lowe's store and looked at the specifications on the box and made some measurements. First off, the cutting path on the 25302 is 19", due to a 1" overlap of the two 10" blades, and the cutting path of the 25223 is 17.5", since the actual blade length is only 17.5". So, the twin blade model 25302 will cut a 1.5" wider path than the single blade model 25223, which can significantly add to the number of passes and cutting time for your 10,000 sq ft yard. Both mowers come with the same batteries, a large 4 Ah (146 Wh) battery and a small 2 Ah (73 Wh) battery. However, the run time is greater with the twin blade mode, due to its power management system, which adjusts motor power draw and blade speed to cutting conditions. It's basically impossible to stall the twin blade model, and you can continue walking at the same pace even in very thick or tall grass. I have read complaints of the single model struggling or even stalling in hard conditions. The twin blade model can run up to 70 minutes, whereas the 25223 will run only about 45 minutes on a full charge of both batteries. Also, the twin blade carries both batteries onboard, and automatically switches batteries when one of them gets discharged, but you have to stop and manually switch batteries on the 25223 when one is spent, since it only carries one battery on board.

Other advantages of the 25302 over the 25223 are a deck that extends beyond the width of the rear wheels to permit very close cutting near walls and fences and even trimming at walkways and driveways. The bag design is better too, with non-porous plastic top, a bag full indicator, comfortable built-in handle, very large front opening and a second non-porous lining on the interior on the mower discharge side that extends to the rear of the bag to minimize dust blowout when mowing in dry conditions. About the only thing you don't get with the 25302 is a side discharge option, which I never use, since I only mulch or bag my clippings. Also, the 25223 offers 7 height adjustment positions instead of the 5 positions on 25302, which again is not a problem for me, since the 25302 has a sufficient range of cutting heights for my needs.

Wow! Why is it I can get this detailed level of review from you on the forum, but at Lowes, I can't even find a salesperson who can provide any information whatsoever on these products. Well, you've convinced me to get the 25302, though I would never have known the difference if I hadn't found this forum. Kills me to have to purchase from Lowes when they've been so useless, but they do have the exclusive on these. Thanks again!

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
Wow! Why is it I can get this detailed level of review from you on the forum, but at Lowes, I can't even find a salesperson who can provide any information whatsoever on these products. Well, you've convinced me to get the 25302, though I would never have known the difference if I hadn't found this forum. Kills me to have to purchase from Lowes when they've been so useless, but they do have the exclusive on these. Thanks again!

you can also read multiple reviews and Q&A at Lowe's website; Shop Greenworks 40-Volt 20-in Cordless Electric Push Lawn Mower at Lowes.com

shekie777

Forum Newbie
Threads
you can also read multiple reviews and Q&A at Lowe's website; Shop Greenworks 40-Volt 20-in Cordless Electric Push Lawn Mower at Lowes.com

I read through the reviews of the Greenworks at the Lowes website, they are all over the map. Some people have had great luck with them and gave them 4-5 stars, but there were a number of reviews stating the mower did not cut evenly, leaving stray grass which required going back and re-doing. That in turn, ran down the batteries which led to more frustration.

Still, most of the reviews were positive and I will likely purchase this mower from Lowes.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
I read through the reviews of the Greenworks at the Lowes website, they are all over the map. Some people have had great luck with them and gave them 4-5 stars, but there were a number of reviews stating the mower did not cut evenly, leaving stray grass which required going back and re-doing. That in turn, ran down the batteries which led to more frustration.

Still, most of the reviews were positive and I will likely purchase this mower from Lowes.

just wanted to make sure you knew about those reviews.

Although it isn't yet true growing season here, so far, mine has been an adequate replacement for my Bolens 21" gasser.

I'll suggest you make very certain there are no sticks or pinecones or other hard debris as the little 'comb teeth' underneath will break off.

I also purchased the string trimmer, it's just OK over all, BUT, I have 2 chargers and a 3rd battery now. Just waiting for some 'tool only' options from GW to buy a hedge trimmer and possibly a blower.

The battery system, so far, is brilliant.

rp2s

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello shekie777,

I just wanted to chime in as I have recently purchased the Greenworks Twin-Force mower, and after four uses I could not be more pleased with its performance. I'm coming from a Neuton 6.2 Series cordless mower that I've had for almost six years. It still functions very well, but the Greenworks mower does a much better job mulching, and weighs about 22# less due to the lead-acid battery used in the older Neuton. I still can't believe how quiet the Twin-Force mower is, and the Lithium batteries are the way to go. Good luck with your quest.

Lawnboylover

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey Guys, Spring will be here before you know it. Thinking of buying a cordless mower for my Mother In Law. She has some Zoysia in her front yard and the rest of the yard is fescue mix. Does anyone have an opinion on the self - propelled BlackNDecker model?

Thanks

LL....sure wish they still made 2 cycle LawnBoys.