New to a ZG23

Wetstuff

Forum Newbie
Threads
I ran around the yard a bit after bringing this <500hr, used unit home. First time zero turning, and already a question.. I typically run an old 46" Craftsman up the edge of the lane then use a 6' flail mower on the pasture. But, with the Kubota, I got 'rows' of semi-cut that may match the spindles of the two outer blades...H'mmm?!.

I first thought - 'going too fast?', but then slowed with similar results. The blades are reportedly new. I am two weeks back two weeks from cervical surgery, so I cannot like lift-the-deck to see. I also thought about the RPMs ...the flail does not work worth a damn if the tractor RPMs are not >2500. Even at WOT ..I cannot judge the RPMs of this Kohler engine. So give me your thought on the odd cut

...then tell me if you have found an add-on Tach. Thanks. Jim

Attachments

• Rows - 1 (1).jpeg
    Rows - 1 (1).jpeg
    598.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Rows - 1.jpeg
    Rows - 1.jpeg
    657.7 KB · Views: 10

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Much like your flail, the engine should be always running full speed .
People new to ZTR's tend to drop the revs a bit till they get the hang of them which gives a bad cut & damages the drives
No decks are universal and it will take a while to find the blades that work with your grass and the cut height you do
To me it just looks like too fast in long grass taking off too much grass.
There is also the potential that the "New" blades are wrong for the deck or even fitted upside down.
When you are recovered have a good look at the blades and check the belt is tight and the spindles spin freely & quietly when the belt is removed

lugbolt

Threads
Much like your flail, the engine should be always running full speed .
People new to ZTR's tend to drop the revs a bit till they get the hang of them which gives a bad cut & damages the drives
No decks are universal and it will take a while to find the blades that work with your grass and the cut height you do
To me it just looks like too fast in long grass taking off too much grass.
There is also the potential that the "New" blades are wrong for the deck or even fitted upside down.
When you are recovered have a good look at the blades and check the belt is tight and the spindles spin freely & quietly when the belt is removed

agreed.

mddickson74

Threads
I ran around the yard a bit after bringing this <500hr, used unit home. First time zero turning, and already a question.. I typically run an old 46" Craftsman up the edge of the lane then use a 6' flail mower on the pasture. But, with the Kubota, I got 'rows' of semi-cut that may match the spindles of the two outer blades...H'mmm?!.

I first thought - 'going too fast?', but then slowed with similar results. The blades are reportedly new. I am two weeks back two weeks from cervical surgery, so I cannot like lift-the-deck to see. I also thought about the RPMs ...the flail does not work worth a damn if the tractor RPMs are not >2500. Even at WOT ..I cannot judge the RPMs of this Kohler engine. So give me your thought on the odd cut

...then tell me if you have found an add-on Tach. Thanks. Jim
Sorry to hear about your surgery. I agree with the others.

Bertrrr

Threads
Since it's new to you , you can't be sure the previous owner installed the correct blades , it's possible they are not installed right , some are different lengths , often the center blade is a little longer than the other two and positioned a bit forward so the whole path is covered , look up the blades part number and see if they are the same or if one is longer,

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
People are always asking me for advice on what new mower to buy which is silly because I don't repair many brand new mowers .
However on of the things I suggest is to add up the lengths of the blades
You need 1/2" of overlap between the blades to prevent rooster tailing in long grass
So a 42" deck needs 2 x 21.25" ( 42.5" ) in order to cut clean
Some of the older mowers use 21.5" blades and they are excellent
Newer decks seem to use no overlap so a 42" deck runs 2 x 21" blades which means any wear at the tip must create a rooster tail.
Good for blade sales and allows decks to be smaller which cuts costs by a lot more than those outside the metals industry can understand.
And of course the very best cut will happen with timed blades and then counter rotating will be even better .
However all of this costs money so will only be found on top end ( high priced ) mowers .
Eg:-
The most common deck size down here is 42" 2 blade deck
Cub Cadet 2 x 21 3/16 = 3/8 overlap max tip wear 3/32" each end
Husqvarna ( and all clones ) 2 x 21 " blades = no overlap = new blades every year
Hustler 2 x 21 1/2 = 1" overlap + blades last forever
JD , 2 x 21 3/8 = 3/4" overlap
Masport 2 x 21 3/4 = 1 1/2" overlap
MTD ( and clones ) 2 x 21 3/16
Murray 2 x 21 1/4
Toro 2 x 21 5/8
Now those figures are very rough because the actual overlap varies according the where the spindle centres are but as a seat of the pants method of comparing one mower to the one next to it blade length is a worth considerig.
It is also some thing the sales rep will never mention
They might try to upsell heavy duty blades & they might talk about replacement cost but they never mention length & overlap & will cringe if you ask them