New mower engine speed

Weed Hopper

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just bought a 320r zero turn mower and have read that running at less than full throttle may damage the hydrostatic transmission. So, my question is, "Should I always run the mower at full throttle?"

Bertrrr

Threads
It's designed to run at any speed you choose , the governor is set to keep it from over revving, you have to run it enough to let the charging system do it's job in keeping the battery up. I rarely run my machines more than 3/4 throttle - just don't see the advantage of running anything wide open. - just the mechanic in me I guess

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The answer to your question is yes it needs to be run at full throttle due to the hydrostat needs a range of rpm's that allow adequate oil pump flow and also cooling. Also the engine cools best at full rpm, and running at half throttle causes the engine to also run hotter due to lack of cooling air flow.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ditto what IL says as todays hydros operates best when run at full throttle.

Weed Hopper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for corroborating what I suspected. Full throttle from now on.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And to really drive it home
Hydros must always run full speed or too much oil escapes between the vaalve plate & cylinder block
The accelerates the errosion in this area which is how 99.9999% of hydros fail and what makes that growing sound .
IT is also why the left side on ZTR's always fails first .

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Hydros must always run full speed or too much oil escapes between the vaalve plate & cylinder block
The accelerates the errosion in this area which is how 99.9999% of hydros fail and what makes that growing sound .
Wide open throttle when under load with blades on! Read up on it if you don’t understand or need further information.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the blades are on and you are cutting grass, run it at full throttle.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Then I wonder why the RH on a customer's Bad Boy ZTR failed first here.

I would there are exceptions.