New mower belt broke - ISX2200

Goban

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all. First time post.

Brand new ISX2200 61". The drive belt (to the transaxles) shredded after 1 hours use from new. All was going well with no sign of any issues then belt started to shred dropping for slithers from the wide side of the Vee. Then quickly shredded and jumped the pulleys.
We are 300km from the dealer so I need to figure it out myself. Could it have been a bad belt. Any ideas please??
The pulleys look fine but until I get a new belt I wont know how the new belt runs.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Everyone may not know an ISX2200 is a Ferris. But I guess they can google search it to find out. Flat side of the belt to flat idler, v side of the belt to the v idlers. Maybe this will help.

Mower King

Threads
Hi all. First time post.

Brand new ISX2200 61". The drive belt (to the transaxles) shredded after 1 hours use from new. All was going well with no sign of any issues then belt started to shred dropping for slithers from the wide side of the Vee. Then quickly shredded and jumped the pulleys.
We are 300km from the dealer so I need to figure it out myself. Could it have been a bad belt. Any ideas please??
The pulleys look fine but until I get a new belt I wont know how the new belt runs.
That is a long distance from your Dealer, I'm taking it that you walked in, and bought it from a Ferris Dealership?
If so, call them (where you bought it) and tell them about it, see what they tell you. If you bought it online, or somewhere else, it could be difficult for a Dealer (where you didn't buy it) to stand behind it even with only 1 hr on it!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If manufactures would actually warranty their products instead of looking every way to not to warranty their products at all then it would not be a problem for dealers to honor a warranty claim. I worked for Standard Register where the warranty was intentionally written by lawyers so they had to not honor any warranty claim; unless, the customer raised all matter of hell.

I worked at a local office equipment dealer where we had to do warranty work out our pockets as we could never get the manufactures to honor their so called warranties. Even since I work for my own company I can't get companies like Briggs and Stratton to honor their equipment and parts warranty. No wonder so many end users are angry at both the OEMs and us, the repair centers.

For me a good example are known items that even the companies like Kohler tech support that oh the engine is under warranty so just file a warranty claim for defective ignition coils and they will replace them. Then when you do they then tell you to go to the local dealer for replacements. Then when all the local dealer refuse to do so, they admit you are screwed out of $100 dollars because you honored the replacement warranty.

This is the very reason I will not become a dealer for any of them as they will just screw me again and again on warranty claims. I personally warranty anything I sell as I can't depend on the OEMs to do it.

This might just an American company problem as our laws allows this.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Start by checking around the V pulleys for shiny area that would indicate that the belt was rubbing. I am either thinking a belt guide that is not properly installed or maybe something got kicked up and jammed into one of the pulleys or someplace that would allow the belt to rid against a sharp edge.

Mower King

Threads
Start by checking around the V pulleys for shiny area that would indicate that the belt was rubbing. I am either thinking a belt guide that is not properly installed or maybe something got kicked up and jammed into one of the pulleys or someplace that would allow the belt to rid against a sharp edge.
I agree with this reply....still with only 1 hr on the mower, call where you bought it and tell them what happened.

Goban

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replies. I looked and could not see anything with the pulleys. I called the dealer and they said they need the mower back to put a new belt. So I purchased myself and put the new belt and 2 hours later the engine died whilst mowing. The yellow 20 amp fuse was blown. I replaced the fuse and it blew again as soon as I turned the ignition on. Looks like could be a fault in the ECM module. The engine cranks but will not start. Its going back to the authorised dealer from where it was purchased and they can do both the belt and the engine diagnosis. My neighbor has a Ferris 3200, and had one before that, and he has never had any sort of problem. So I think its just one of those things that happens with all brands from time to time. I will let you know how it goes.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
FWIW
Shredding is nearly always caused because the belt is running hard against some thing that is not moving.
Usually it is because the belt is on the wrong side of a belt keeper .
Less often it is because an idler has frozen.
On ZTR's it can happen because the belt was fitted between the pulley & the fan which is very easy to do ( done it a few times myself ) .

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
See if they will take it back for a full refund.

Goban

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All

Thanks for the replies. The scan codes indicate a bad electronic component but we cant be sure of the exact issue until it is running again.
As soon as Ferris / Briggs heard about it they got right behind their product and arranged for a nearby mower mechanic to do the warranty work without delay.
So all things considered I think full marks to Ferris / Briggs as far as my experience to date. I will let you all know the cause when I know.