New models SRM-225 doesn't have grease point.

CubbyCommando

Threads
Friends,

I bought a new Echo String Trimmer (SRM-225) last year and when I went to add some grease I noticed they no longer have the grease bolt/point on the head.

Not sure if this was done so it won't last as long (haha) or if they expect you to take it to a dealer to service. Any thoughts as to why this was done?

I guess it'll have to be disassembled and then manually greased? Thinking about adding a tapped hole making my own grease point while I have it opened.

Just would like some thoughts as maybe there was a reason they did this. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20230601_140028.jpg
    20230601_140028.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 9

john walsh

Forum Newbie
Threads
Friends,

I bought a new Echo String Trimmer (SRM-225) last year and when I went to add some grease I noticed they no longer have the grease bolt/point on the head.

Not sure if this was done so it won't last as long (haha) or if they expect you to take it to a dealer to service. Any thoughts as to why this was done?

I guess it'll have to be disassembled and then manually greased? Thinking about adding a tapped hole making my own grease point while I have it opened.

Just would like some thoughts as maybe there was a reason they did this. Thanks!
Chubby, my SRM225 does have a 10mm hex bolt that acts as a plug to use a rubber-tipped grease gun accessory to lube the gearset. Since you would have to disassemble to drill/tap hole for zerk fitting for yours, I guess you would have to decide what to do. Reason they did this? I would bet it was to save the $1.00 per unit to drill/tap/plug.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The gearbox was redesign starting the "U" serial numbers. It is nearly a completely different gearbox design. Echo changed several parts, eliminating one bearing and one to a special spec bearing. This reduced the machining needed and reduced the overall costs to manufacture the gearbox.; with the exception of what was item 17 which is also redesign requiring more machining. Yes it is a cheaper design and there will be a shorter bearing life as a result. And most likely they are superseding the new design for the old one when a complete replacement is ordered too.

Here is the old gearbox design ending with the "T" serial numbers,
1711800540785.png
And this is the new gearbox design starting with "U" serial numbers with several parts no longer available separately.
1711800602157.png
Compare the two diagrams to see the changes. Only a few parts have the same part numbers.

Last edited: