RoccoS

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all,

Stumbled upon the forum while looking for info about my mower. Looks great and am looking forward to spending time learning from everyone.
I do have a question about my HRR216VKA. Does anyone else have carburetor troubles? I've shut off the petcock and let it run until it dies before putting it away, but I've still had carbs go bad.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Part of the issue when running them dry is they are not totally dry and the small amount of fuel left in the fuel bowl gums up the works.

RoccoS

Forum Newbie
Threads
That's a very good point. First carburetor went bad simply because I didn't run it for two weeks with the gas on. Got replacement and started running it dry, as per Manual, got bored with that and simply drained the bowl a couple of times, but that carb went bad. So I now just keep a throw down on the shelf. Thanks for the advice, Rocco

Briantii

Threads
Odd. 9 seasons on mine and all I’ve ever done is add stabil to my fuel when I buy it, and turn off the fuel valve to run the carb dry. Never had a carb issue.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Odd. 9 seasons on mine and all I’ve ever done is add stabil to my fuel when I buy it, and turn off the fuel valve to run the carb dry. Never had a carb issue.
Weather you have these sorts of carb problems is very dependent upon a stack of variables.
My workshop is 400 yards from the landlord
My fuel will be fine in a tank for several months
His goes off in a couple of weeks.
Same fuel from the same pump, different microclimate .

gotomow

Threads
In my 6 seasons on my honda I rarely used the fuel valve to run the carb dry. Never had a carb problem. Sometimes very late in the season when I was picking up leaves in late november I would shut it off just in case I didn't get back too it because of snow. My new Super Recycler's manual says run it dry at end of season. This makes me wonder how old the OP's machine is and if there could be other issues besides the carb. I was watching a Youtube video last nite about a hydro tranny change on a Honda HRX217. The guy was 3rd owner I think he got it for free and had put a crankshaft,(he hit something), other parts and now a hydro. The plastic deck looked like it had been shoved off of a mountain and he was unhappy Honda would not replace it. After spending money for the parts and his time I figure he was upside down on this free mower. He admitted he was close to the cost of a new mower,lol.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In my 6 seasons on my honda I rarely used the fuel valve to run the carb dry. Never had a carb problem. Sometimes very late in the season when I was picking up leaves in late november I would shut it off just in case I didn't get back too it because of snow. My new Super Recycler's manual says run it dry at end of season. This makes me wonder how old the OP's machine is and if there could be other issues besides the carb. I was watching a Youtube video last nite about a hydro tranny change on a Honda HRX217. The guy was 3rd owner I think he got it for free and had put a crankshaft,(he hit something), other parts and now a hydro. The plastic deck looked like it had been shoved off of a mountain and he was unhappy Honda would not replace it. After spending money for the parts and his time I figure he was upside down on this free mower. He admitted he was close to the cost of a new mower,lol.

And Again I say
Weather you have these sorts of carb problems is very dependent upon a stack of variables.
For every one who has no problems there will be another that is plagued by them .

gotomow

Threads
And Again I say
For every one who has no problems there will be another that is plagued by them .
Have you been able to pinpoint the differences in the microclimates that would cause his gas to go off so quick?

Briantii

Threads
I’m guessing where it’s stored? I keep my fuel and mower in my basement - 65 to 75 F year round.

RoccoS

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone,
Been gone a while, sorry. Lots of good feedback. Briantii, in 7 years I never drained anything and never had any problems with my last Honda. This one was a gift (Service Award selection.) I sold the old one. The new one has the auto-choke. Two seasons and the second carb is going down. Also, I'm in Houston Texas. Very humid year round, long mowing season. I often mow up to the third week of December. All that weather is probably is very tough on gas. I suspect it is a combination of weather shortened gas life and a sensitive carburetor. The manual says to use premium gas, avoid ethanol, and don't use fuel system cleaners. I wonder about internal part materials. I'm going to put it on a year 'round diet of "Stabil". Hope it works, Thanks for the help everyone. Rocco