New member, similar dilemma. First large cost ZTR purchase

Docaw007

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / New member, similar dilemma. First large cost ZTR purchase
Good evening all. I have been stalking this forum for quite some time as well as reading/reviewing countless ZTR reviews and am looking for a little direction. I mow about 1.3 acres with a 42" JD x350 with 95 hours on in currently. I am in the midwest/north so the grass grows thick and fast currently so I do have to mow twice a week minimum lately. I do realize from the images I do not do my lawn justice and images will help show the terrain.

It takes me 1.25 hours going as fast as I can in circles once over and around 1.5-1.75 when I change the pattern . I realize I need a new,fast , big (is 48 too small-52) shiny mower which my wife will have no idea how much I paid for it. I have a young child so speed also helps so I can get back to the family. I feel my tractor is just too small and slow...I'll have to sell that later.

I do like commercial grade equipment as for me the quality is a piece of mind and you get what you pay for most of the time. My landscaper uses Bobcats (he knows I like cutting my lawn so has been giving me tips) and I have poured over the common brand and reviews from Exmark, Kubota, Scag, Bobcat, Ferris, etc. It gets all confusing. I'll assume I prefer to keep budget under $15,000 but can be flexible for the right machine. What decks are best for the Midwest grass types in early spring/summer which tend to be the toughest mow.? I would like speed to be a factor and while my lawn does have the sprinkler head bumps, occasional tree root bump around the bed, and those damn sticks from river birch trees I tend to just mow over if small, what size deck would work? The largest I can fit comfortably in the garage is a 52' and I was originally thinking a 48", but I have made the mistake getting too small of a machine once. I currently mow the embankment by the road and depending on how wet the grass is depends on how much of it I bother with as it fees a bit unsafe with the current tractor wheelbase. Most of the time all of it is cut and the mower hangs in there.

For some reason I am leaning towards a Ferris or Exmark model. I occasionally have to cut in the morning with dew on the ground but won't cut in the rain most likely. It is correct to assume all of the commercial brand ZTR cut well? Cut is important to me as I want a great looking lawn and would sacrifice a little speed. Over time I'll get better at my craft and stripe etc. I will only pull a wheelbarrow for mulch and I think all can do that.

I know there have been countless posts for helping people decide on a large purchase and this is no different but I am having trouble sorting out facts vs sales items in many of the videos.

1. What size deck is ideal for my lawn type and size (48-52 is assumed)?
  2. Is it correct to assume my embankment is fine to mow, going slow?
  3. I'll make sure there is a dealer semi-close as currently I have pickup service for spring sharpening and leveling but do plan on doing this myself
  4. Has anyone made a similar purchase in the last few years and have some advice or experiences that will help?
  5. What brands am I missing?
  6. Am I nuts??

lawn1.jpglawn2.jpglawn3.jpg

Last edited:

4getgto

Threads
With a 15k budget the choices are many. A good new 48" -54" machine should be much less than that . Keep in mind a 48-52-54_60" decks are going to wider than advertised because of the chute overhang.
Your bank shown in the picture shouldn't be anything a ZT can't handle. Might be a little squirrel'ly when wet but should be fine.
Wish I could offer advice on which brand but there's so many. I'd talk to some friends or local landscaping guys and get their opinion. Some dealers will even let you try them out.

BPierce

Threads
First and foremost, what dealers are close (or what's your zip code)? There's a half dozen brands fitting your need and service is more important than miniscule differences in the mower itself.

Docaw007

Forum Newbie
Threads
First and foremost, what dealers are close (or what's your zip code)? There's a half dozen brands fitting your need and service is more important than miniscule differences in the mower itself.
I am in the Chicago suburbs so every dealer is within 10 miles or so

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
For 15 grand, I would hire a lawn crew. I'd be sitting on the couch watching the game. Or a little fishing or hunting sounds good.

slomo

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
6. I think so.

Are you absolutely sure $15K will buy enough mower to handle a <2 acre job?

Docaw007

Forum Newbie
Threads
6. I think so.

Are you absolutely sure $15K will buy enough mower to handle a <2 acre job?
Love the sarcasm. It will be under budget possibly but it allows my to get something that will scale and last. I like being Forrest Gump and mowing so don't want to hire a crew for the lawn.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get yourself a Walker and become the envy of subburb.
Buy the combi deck so you can throw or bag.
With the catcher over the top of the engine which is behind you, it is the least noisy mower and really comfortable.
The cut is the best of any mower on the market.
Coming in a close second are the Husqvarna pro Riders articulated mowers.
These do a wonderful job of mowing if you do not allow the grass to get too long before mowing it.
Another mower that is a real pleasure to mow with and very fast because it is articulated and the deck is out front where you ca see it clearly all the way round.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Or get a Snapper rear engine rider for a fraction of $15,000. Best transmission and drive system on the market. Best bagging machine on the market. Will mulch with any machine out there and stand tall.

slomo

cruzenmike

Threads
I think the biggest issue that you have is your budget! Now hear me out..... with that kind of money, you will be buying way more mower than you need if you get even close to the top of your budget. This forum is filled with people who will tell you how to spend your money, but what you need to decide is how much do you want to invest in something that is tasked with one job, and then to consider that at a point, no extra amount of money will do that job any better. What I am saying is that from $10k-15k you will probably see no difference in how your lawn looks or how fast it gets cut. First, your deck size is only as important as your ability to utilize that deck on your property. Since you have the embankment and some landscaping already, you can pick a deck that will get everywhere that you need it to get without being too wide to hit things, scalp on uneven patches or dig in at the bottom of your embankment. Then you have to consider the features that you want. A good seat is important if you are going to be sitting in it for a while. Your ground doesn't look too bad so I would look for a good adjustable seat before a full-framed suspension system like on the Ferris (although this does not discount them in your choice). Lastly, you should be looking at the total package including value (what you get for what you pay), dealer support (because you will need them), warranty (because we all like peace of mind) and cut quality (because this is what the machine is meant to do).

And to now debunk a few "myths," a fast mower doesn't cut grass fast, it simply drives fast. I don't know of many people with ZTR's that can cut at full speed either because grass conditions do not allow for it or the skill necessary to cut nice straight lines, or like on your lot, curved lines is not easy for a lot of people, even with experience. Also, buying an expensive mower doesn't guarantee longevity. Yes, higher end components in these machines will have more trouble free hours of use, but maintenance on these machines is just as important as any other machine, and possibly more important. This is where having an intimate knowledge of your operators manual is very important.

Now for what I think that you should do, because at the end of the day, that is what we do here, we try to spend your money for you!!! I am a big fan of Exmark, but also like Scag and Ferris. I have owned two Exmarks and the cut quality of both has been exceptional. The older one I had did take some maintenance and at about 12 years old I had started to put some money into it to replace parts that had worn. I think it was around 500 hours when the PTO clutch went, as well as the spindle bearings, caster bearings/races and the gaskets around the bottom end of the engine. I put about $700 into it at that point and it was running like new again. My newer Exmark was, well new, so it did not have any problems when I sold it (I sold it because I want to get a garden tractor). As for Ferris, my step-dad has one and he loves it. His has a 61" deck, 28hp Vanguard EFI, marbain blades, full frame suspension, nice wide tires for traction and minimal rutting. This machine is a beast. It is 3 years old now and his only issue was a leaking hydrostatic which was covered under warranty. Other than that is can cut through 10" tall grass throwing it out 4-5 feet and not miss a blade of grass beneath the deck. Lastly for the Scag. I have shopped and talked to people who have owned these and they are well built machines; just ask contractors who use them.

Looking at your yard, and considering your budget, I recommend the following three mowers:

1) Exmark Lazer Z E 52"
2) Ferris F160Z 52" or IS2100Z 52", either with the 810cc Briggs Vanguard
3) Scag Tiger Cat II 52" with the Kawasaki EFI

All of these mowers are right around $10k, saving you a big chunk of change. I placed them in this order because from my experience the Exmark is going to leave the nicest cut, the Ferris has the best engine and the Scag will offer good cut quality and good value for the money.

REMINDER: This is just my opinion and to be honest, I wouldn't mind being in your position right now!