New Lawn Tractor Recommendation

kcprof1960

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Guys,

I just joined the forum b/c I am tired of fixing my 2001 Husky (great Kawaksaki engine but constant spindle issues...), and I want to buy a reliable tractor to cut my 1 acre lawn. I would prefer to spend no more than $3Kish. I do not care about the bells-and-whistles; I just something simple & reliable that will last me years (who doesn't).

Any recommendations based on your research and experience?

Thanks very much, Keith

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
For under $3000 my recommendation is to buy what ever your gut tells you. That being said, there is no tractor that has quality over price, we are talking a crap shot here. Today’s tractors in that price range are only built to last 7-10 years, mowing less that 3/4 acres. More than 3/4 acres 5-7 years and that is on a smooth lawn. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but my experience tells me you get what you pay for. Todays tractors are not built for longevity, just price, not like 20 years ago when you could buy quality.

kcprof1960

Forum Newbie
Threads
For under $3000 my recommendation is to buy what ever your gut tells you. That being said, there is no tractor that has quality over price, we are talking a crap shot here. Today’s tractors in that price range are only built to last 7-10 years, mowing less that 3/4 acres. More than 3/4 acres 5-7 years and that is on a smooth lawn. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but my experience tells me you get what you pay for. Todays tractors are not built for longevity, just price, not like 20 years ago when you could buy quality.
Thank you for your advice.

bkeller500

Threads
To stay in the $3000 range, you might best take a look at a John Deere unit at a dealer or Big Box store and plan on replacing worn parts or the entire unit when necessary down the road. A Zero Turn may also fit your needs. Simplicity offers a REGENT unit that may work as well as some ZT's that will offer some benefits. This time of year the close-outs will start popping up as inventory moves to fall and winter equipment. A $3000 investment is only costing you $25 / month over 10 years or $50 / month over 5-years. Your problem may be difficult to resolve this year because supply is low and your options limited.

kcprof1960

Forum Newbie
Threads
To stay in the $3000 range, you might best take a look at a John Deere unit at a dealer or Big Box store and plan on replacing worn parts or the entire unit when necessary down the road. A Zero Turn may also fit your needs. Simplicity offers a REGENT unit that may work as well as some ZT's that will offer some benefits. This time of year the close-outs will start popping up as inventory moves to fall and winter equipment. A $3000 investment is only costing you $25 / month over 10 years or $50 / month over 5-years. Your problem may be difficult to resolve this year because supply is low and your options limited.
thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As other techs have mentioned
just about all residential grade mowers are junk built down to a price to make them throw away for most people
In the low price range, the Vari Brive transmissions will give you the least amount of grief & run for the longest
Hydros used to be good for 1000 hrs but I am now seeing more & more fail around 500 hours and a new transmission will be about 1/2 the ticket price so naturally you will buy another new mower just as the board of the mower makers want you to do
Commercial grade mowers are a lot more expensive but they are designed for a very long working life, provided the they are SERVICED PROPERLY & REGULARLY .
Because they are more costly most come with dealer / factory finance so take them up on it, pay the extra $ and forget about the 4 to 5 year new mower search, you have better things to do with your time

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Used Simplicity Broadmoor or Conquest with 20hp - 23hp B&S Vanguard Engine & under 200hrs. My two sons & I own used Simplicity Conquest Lawn Tractors that we purchased used with under 200hrs. on hour meter. We paid $2500 & under for 2006, 2009, & 2010 model year lawn tractors.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yep just about any 10year old ( or older ) mower will be better value for money than any new residential now days
I have loads of 2000 series Cubs that are still running strong and will continue to do so for another 10 years or more
You won't get that out of any new Cub and if you want proof, just look at the threads in the cub section.
Nearly all about mowers less than 10 years old .

kcprof1960

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yep just about any 10year old ( or older ) mower will be better value for money than any new residential now days
I have loads of 2000 series Cubs that are still running strong and will continue to do so for another 10 years or more
You won't get that out of any new Cub and if you want proof, just look at the threads in the cub section.
Nearly all about mowers less than 10 years old .
Thanks all.

fredeharle48

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a '08 Troy Bilt Bronco that has crappy steering and a motor that loves to leak oil and self-destruct. And while I actually really enjoy mower maintenance and fixing issues, it isn't for everyone. That said, with sharp blades, a well-adjusted deck, and proper tire pressure, it has a great cut, even at 1".