New FX801V Kawasaki Oil Leak

Zeroprogress

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a new JD Z930r that has 7.5 hours on it. I noticed an oil leak under the drain plug of the 25.5 hp Kawasaki engine after the first mow at about 3 hours. At first I blamed it on the cheap plastic oil drain valve. However after changing the plastic valve to the Kawasaki drain hose with brass ends, oil is still leaking when I mow. I checked the oil filter area, oil pressure sender and new oil drain hose. All are dry. It’s under those items on the frame surface that it’s pooled up. It’s kind of a wide pattern with some higher splatters but all in the area beneath the oil drain It’s leaking to the tune of about 1/2 quart per 3 hours. From underneath I do not see anything like a crack in the case or any other source for the leak. The only area I can’t see is under the oil pan but since I have ruled our most visible things am thinking the only possibility is the crank seal. I welcome any ideas on this but of course beyond anything simple I will have to have the machine picked up for JD warrantee work. (Meaning it’s gone for???!!!)

volt

Threads
I just began having the same problem. The big difference is that my mower/engine is about 20 yrs. old. It is a 48" Lesco Mower Kawasaki Engine and it has been great. I'm thinking of the same thing on having to take it in for repair soon. Most likely it is a gasket, but I would not want to try to repair this myself. Unless someone thinks it would not be difficult from past experience.
Thanks and good luck

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Install an 1/2 oz of UV dye in the oil, run for 30 minutes, and check for leak using the appropriate UV light. I use 374CS dye with a 365nm UV light source here. Mine is a type of pen light with a 3.6 vdc battery so it usually good in bright light conditions. Not so good in direct sunlight. You will be surprised where some oil leaks are.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Install an 1/2 oz of UV dye in the oil, run for 30 minutes, and check for leak using the appropriate UV light. I use 374CS dye with a 365nm UV light source here. Mine is a type of pen light with a 3.6 vdc battery so it usually good in bright light conditions. Not so good in direct sunlight. You will be surprised where some oil leaks are.
W T Fire ?????

It's a mower engine :geek: . Normally caked full of dirt on the block. A blind person could spot an oil leak LOL.

Bond, James Bond.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The 930r is a commercial unit.
Not sold at Walmart, Home Depot.
It sounds like a Deere dealer warranty problem. Let them figure it out
You're right. I didn't fully read the specifics. PLus I haven't had my first cup of coffee either so I was half asleep with I posted.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
W T Fire ?????

It's a mower engine :geek: . Normally caked full of dirt on the block. A blind person could spot an oil leak LOL.

Bond, James Bond.
Spot any oil leak, yes. But determine the source of the leak? no. Much easier with dye in it.... I usually clean the engine sparkling clean and then do the dye.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
7.5 hours. Take it back to the dealer and let them sort it out. The more you do the more reason they will have to say you broke something.

Zeroprogress

Forum Newbie
Threads
All, I wanted to follow up on my original post. It ended up being a small (1/4) inch Allen plug maybe used during engine manufacture. It is near the oil pressure switch and evidentially never tightened. It was barely in and getting ready to blow out completely (maybe next time the engine ran). All I had to do is tighten it with an Allen wrench and it’s fine now. But I never considered it as a possible source because it’s so small and is just a (dummy) plug. I feel lucky I found it before total blowout and all is good now. I get the impression that pandemic assembly processes might have been a bit sketchy!