New engine can’t adjust rpm and runs rough cold

michtom

Threads
I’m hopeful someone can give me some direction in giving me an idea on what to do to fix this engine. This is a Snapper rear engine 281123BVE, that I bought used with a bad motor. I found a company that sold me this motor and it is a real problem. I bought it in October, one year ago. I installed it and it fired right up, but I couldn’t get the rpm’s much over an idle. I spoke with the companies technician 4 or 5 times with no change. They told me I had to take it to a Briggs & Stratton authorized repair facility. So, one year later I finally get it back and the rpm is no different and now it runs extremely rough when cold. The repair facility spoke multiple times with either them or Briggs and this is what I have. The repair guy said they never should’ve sold me this motor to be used as a lawnmower even though they told it would work. The only way I can see to adjust rpm is with the governor and that is real touchy. As I said it’s a Briggs, model 31R577 0027 B1. if there anyone familiar with this engine or able to give me some ideas, I would really appreciate it.

michtom

Threads
I initially did this when speaking to the tech where I bought it. I also did it when I got it back home from the shop. I now have it adjusted so it runs a hair faster but it won’t idle down even when adjusting the idle screw.

michtom

Threads
I must say that after looking at the procedure you posted, it’s different then the one the tech had me do. I wish the diagram in that procedure was a lot more clear for me to understand.

michtom

Threads
The governor is set correctly. No change.

donens2018

Threads
Are you sure you did the governor adjustment with the throttle wide open?

michtom

Threads
Yes! Like I said, this has been in for repair for the last year at an authorized repair facility. I’ve gone over everything numerous times too. This engine does seem like it was engineered to be used as a lawnmower.

michtom

Threads
Too add what the repair facility tried, they tried numerous flywheels, different carburetors and opened up the jet. Right now I have the governor adjusted so it runs faster. It runs awfully when it is cold, and after a very long time it starts running normal. Under load, I would like to have more power but, no load I can’t turn the speed down to an idle. If I turn the idle speed down, then I won’t have enough rpm to use the lawnmower.

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
Take it to a real shop and some engines need mods to have what you want - a throttle control. I did not research but based on " repair facility tried, they tried numerous flywheels, different carburetors and opened up the jet" - they may haved caused more issues than fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!