New Carb, ran great for 2 starts but now wont stay running more than 1/2 second- killed battery.

jdunn618

Threads
  • / New Carb, ran great for 2 starts but now wont stay running more than 1/2 second- killed battery.
I had work done & I replaced plug, belt, fuel filter, carb etc. I was having level cut issues, and when the shop brought it back after that & popping the new carb on for me, it started right up & is level. Fast forward 2 days, it got warmer out but not hot, put it on choke as usual. Started for 1/2 second & died. Tried that about 3-4 more times, same thing- so I let it sit. Well I ended up killing the battery. Ran good before, I think its something with new carb but I know can't start it at the moment & it seems to be a gas/air mix problem. Idk its all new & cleaned. Shop is closed due to memorial day & I got peoples yards to cut. Any help before I call them tmrw & get put off another week 😅

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / New Carb, ran great for 2 starts but now wont stay running more than 1/2 second- killed battery.
Post engine manufacturer, model & serial numbers from engine. Is your new carburetor an OEM carburetor or a cheap knockoff?

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
don't use the choke and see if that helps. Make sure it isn't out of gas.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A common problem on Noname Mystery Mowers made by the Unidentified Engine Company
Problem is terminal go to Walmart & buy another snow plow to trim your hedges with

jdunn618

Threads
don't use the choke and see if that helps. Make sure it isn't out of gas.
A common problem on Noname Mystery Mowers made by the Unidentified Engine Company
Problem is terminal go to Walmart & buy another snow plow to trim your hedges with
What kinda smart ass waste of time answer was this. Could have stayed out of it if you didn't have anything helpful to say.

jdunn618

Threads
What kinda smart ass waste of time answer was this. Could have stayed out of it if you didn't have anything helpful to say.
Not you Sgkent but I tried that as well, that's when I killed it. I think I just overly fouled plug somehow. Got it charging for w couple hours, will check tmrw

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It was a humourious way of trying to say if we don't know what we are dealing with we really can not be of any help
I note that Mark asked you for the minimum basic information that is needed to start to diagnose your problem over a day ago .
You have managed to make 2 further posts but no attempt to answer Marks questions .

Now I could write a 10,000 word post outlining every possible cause of every engine ever made failing to run , how to test for it & how to fix it .
But I am too lazy to write it and most other people are too lazy to read it

All we know is you have a battery start engine with an unknown number of cylinders in an unknown configuration made by an unknown factory fitted to an unknown brand of machine which could be a ride on mower or a walk behind , a tractor or a ZTR you fitted an unknown brand of carburrettor and cranked the engine till the battery went flat .
You had the option of posting in a mower brad specific section or an engine brand specific section but you chose to use the non specific "brands" section.

We are not mind readers and have nothing to work with but the words you typed into your post which is SFA good for even making a reasonable guess let alone an informed diagnosis.

We can not help you if you will not help us .

And as you want to find offence with what I type then I will happily grant you your wish by adding you to the ignore list so I won't offend you again

Have a nice day

jdunn618

Threads
It was a humourious way of trying to say if we don't know what we are dealing with we really can not be of any help
I note that Mark asked you for the minimum basic information that is needed to start to diagnose your problem over a day ago .
You have managed to make 2 further posts but no attempt to answer Marks questions .

Now I could write a 10,000 word post outlining every possible cause of every engine ever made failing to run , how to test for it & how to fix it .
But I am too lazy to write it and most other people are too lazy to read it

All we know is you have a battery start engine with an unknown number of cylinders in an unknown configuration made by an unknown factory fitted to an unknown brand of machine which could be a ride on mower or a walk behind , a tractor or a ZTR you fitted an unknown brand of carburrettor and cranked the engine till the battery went flat .
You had the option of posting in a mower brad specific section or an engine brand specific section but you chose to use the non specific "brands" section.

We are not mind readers and have nothing to work with but the words you typed into your post which is SFA good for even making a reasonable guess let alone an informed diagnosis.

We can not help you if you will not help us .

And as you want to find offence with what I type then I will happily grant you your wish by adding you to the ignore list so I won't offend you again

Have a nice day
I honestly didn't see him ask that but okay, just be rude & say shit that makes no sense to someone who wouldn't ever get your reference. You never had to hop on with sarcastic things to begin with. If you don't want to help but its a 2004 Ariens Zoom34 with a Kohler Command 14hp engine from a 95-98 john Deere. My ariens is a zeroturn & the carburetor is the Walbro one 91517 model. I know my mower inside and out and this point but still don't understand why you had to be that way. I've been frustrated and dealing with issues one after another & I just wanted answers/help, I apologize for lacking to post info but wow I never would have understood your reference fr

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
It gets harder to troubleshoot problems via the Internet as people get offended when those of us who are good with these things can't offer anything but generic help due to no one inventing an app that allows us to teleport to the scene of the problem. When we complain that we even viewed the computer monitor from all 360 degrees but we still can't see what the device looks like so we need a model number and serial number in hopes of finding some sort of parts diagram to see if it reminds us of something we have worked on before, people get defensive.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well now we are getting some where.
Grab a can of carb cleaner , pull the air filter & get someone else to crank the engine while you squirt some VERY SHORT SHOTS of carb cleaner down the carb.
It should start and when it dose, as soon as the engine sounds like it is going to stop, give it another SHORT SHOT.
It will sound like the engine is going to blow up but it won't.
If you can keep it running for 30 sec or more then we have confirmed you have a fuel supply problem .
Some carbs draw fuel only through the main jet, with the idle jet take off after the main jet or just below the main jet take off in the fuel tube.
Others have an independent pilot jet fuel supply.
What I believe is happening is the solenoid has failed ( or the wiring to it ) so the engine gets enough fuel to fire at cranking speeds but not enough to run at idle speed .
As the shop fitted the carb I would hope it is a good one .
If the solenoid has a single wire to it check that the carb body has a good ground
If it has 2 wires check that the ground side of the wire is still connected to the engine .
Also check that the solenoid retracts fully when the key is in both the start & run positions
As the engine swap was a Courage to a Command then there should be no wiring problems other than a nut that was not tight or a ground strap on the carb omitted