New Carb, New Plugs, New filters, still surging

mrr2ro

Forum Newbie
Threads
406777-0128e1 --> Briggs Stratton Intek -V-twin - Scott’s lawn tractor

Engine ran perfectly, had a bad sump pan gasket leak, reassembled engine but governor went bad ... and the governor had to be changed.
--
Open it up again and change governor, replaced gasket, bolts, mounted the engine and then the surging began.

Cleaned carburetor, noting
Rebuilt carburetor, new seals, clean everything - nothing

Engine runs semi-O.K, without air filter, once the filter is on it runs rough, idle up and down
Spark plugs are black both cylinders

Replaced carburetor with OEM Briggs carburetor and now the engine surges and runs rich ...
I have checked for air leaks by spraying carb cleaner around carb gaskets, no change on engine behavior.
Besides the engine behaves air starved, when placin brand new or old air filter the behavior is worst.

Replaced spark plugs, with recommended brand /model / gap

Checked governor setting (governor clock wise max, throttle counter clock wise max

Checked valves -- some say .0004 1/4 inch pass TDC compression. When first open the valve cover, I measured and vales were 0.008 intake, and 0.009 exhaust
I have set them anywhere from .004 intake to .008 exhaust, and the best setting found so far is both at 0.005 TDC compression.
Valve guides are in place

I notice engine fuel pump when first starting, when the hoses were empty while priming the gas, it did shoot out some droplets of gasoline from the center hole on the pump, but once the hose have fuel the leaking stops.

The ONLY thing I have not changed for a new component is the gas pump, it has good flow and it works.

If I clamp the fuel line, the engine runs perfectly for the last 30 seconds or so when it is consuming the last droplets of gasoline.

I did not touch the timing gear when installing the new governor, but I did not actively check that the timing dots were aligned.

See videos with sound => https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/F2QPA9t9RR2QMJxwDP4vmA.3sTrF0xnUjSGwWpoFTDaXz

Ideas anyone?

Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If that is a 2 barrel Niki carb did you check the main jets and orings? The jets fall out and it will run rich and erratic.

mrr2ro

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for your comment, howver I Installed a Brand New Carb -OEM- did not see the need ot open it and check things.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ok. Thought you just cleaned it. Have you double checked the choke linkage and made sure the choke is open? Can't look in like most carbs and see it.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Had a experience this summer on a Intek twin that started surging after replacing the leaking sump gasket. I had put too much tension on the governor arm when setting static governor setting, that induced a too sensitive governor issue. Went back and readjusted governor and all was well.

mrr2ro

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hmm.. I iwll readjust the goivernor then and post results -- thank you!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Carb needle is sticking OPEN. You said you clamp off the fuel and it runs great, until it runs out of juice. Rich as all get out with fuel line open. Either pump is overwhelming the needle with excessive pressure or needle is sticking open. You answered it yourself. (y)

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Had a experience this summer on a Intek twin that started surging after replacing the leaking sump gasket. I had put too much tension on the governor arm when setting static governor setting, that induced a too sensitive governor issue. Went back and readjusted governor and all was well.
Gov has nothing to do with running rich.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sometimes new parts, does not mean new parts.

slomo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
SUrging is lean running
Your problem sounds like rich running
Never assume any new part is good, particularly carburettor
Your symptoms co-incide with loose, fallen out or too big a main jet
And or too high a float level

Also an overly retarded engine can cause symptomes similar to flooding.