Need some input

JoeNoble

Threads
I'm cleaning all the old grease outta my transmission and want to put in Lucas oil stabilized instead and I've got a few questions.

1. Should I go with straight Lucas or should I put in some manual Trans fluid too?

2. Should I just put the gears and axles back into the bottom housing, put in as much Lucas as I can and then seal it back up or should I tap a threaded hole in the top housing so I can put in more?

Here's what it looked like inside.
0b39b608.jpg

d2b6ad82.jpg

e38a3c34.jpg

And this is after a little cleaning. Still got some work to do.
bc6c5873.jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This is a peerless tranie. Having rebuilt many I would recommend you use Bentinite gear lug. That is what you are looking at. Problem I see is that you have a water issue. Clean, install all parts in the lower half, fill with lug. Three things to watch, are the bronze bushings locators in the right spot, did you replace the rubber seals, and don't forget to install the shift ball after the two halves are together. You should replace the shift keys also.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry, gear lube. Fingers too big. Small engine repair shop. Tecumseh product. Part # 788067B
This can be very messy to work with if not careful, but I feel it is the best lubricant for this style of transmission.
Also, You should seal the two halves (after a good cleaning) with a sealant of your choice, or ask at your repair shop for a suggestion. I use one from Kubota, but it is very expensive and there are others out there. Snug loosely all bolts first, test shifter (after replacing shifter ball) to see if it operates correctly, then tighten bolts. Good Luck

JoeNoble

Threads
Is there anything comparable that can be found in an auto parts store?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not that I know of. Benetinite is a grease, which if I remember my update schools for Tecumseh, also containing graphite in it. When used correctly I have never seen a failure in the transmission unless there was water contamination. It won't hurt to check around at an auto store or petroleum distributor. I definitely would not use a silicon, lithium, or multi purpose grease, it will not stand up. I know that this is not what you would like to here, but I would try to find Benetinite. Hope this helps.

JoeNoble

Threads
Did you mean Bentonite? Cuz I googled Benetinite and it didn't find anything. Just outta curiosity why wouldn't gear oil or manual trans fluid not work?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The tranny is somewhat sealed but not sealed tight enough to keep oil from leaking out. The bentonite grease is a clay base grease for gears but will damage needle bearings if they get contaminated with it. If this is the same transmission posted on another thread then it is a Spicer and not a Peerless so it calls for 4300 grease from spicer, not the bentonite grease from Tecumseh. Basically the same stuff but looks slightly different.

Bentonite grease sticks to everything and stinks to high heaven. The 4300 spicer grease is just as messy but doens't smell as bad.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I still think it is a six speed 920 or 930 series tranie. I could be wrong, but I from what I see my money's on Peerless. There should be an ID tag next to the brake wheel.

No matter. If it's peerless use Bentinite, if it's spicer use spicer lube. Good Luck!!

JoeNoble

Threads
It's def a Dana spicer. So theoretically if I could make a better seal around the brake shaft and the axles somethin thick like Lucas may work. Sorry guys I just can't see scouring the earth for some special grease to put into a mower when I'm getting a new one next year. I'd much rather think outside the box and make somethin work.