Need Some Help!!!!

noah4482

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Briggs and Stratton push mower it's a 300E series went to crank it and it wouldn't start and i then put just a bit of gas in the carb to try to help it crank and it didnt help it and i went to try to crank it again and flames came out of the carb that happened twice so any help would be nice

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like the inlet valve is stuck open or the timing key has sheared allowing it to spark at the wrong time.
Does it pull easier than it usually does
Have you hit anything hard that stopped the mower.?

noah4482

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like the inlet valve is stuck open or the timing key has sheared allowing it to spark at the wrong time.
Does it pull easier than it usually does
Have you hit anything hard that stopped the mower.?
no i havent hit any just pulled it out to cut my lawn for the 1st time this season and i did notice it pulled easy sometimes

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK well there are two things to check.
Take off the blower housing and check that the flywheel has not spun on the crankshaft.
If it has not the two halves of the key way will align to make a perfect square.
Next pull off the rocker cover , this will generally destroy the gasket so buy a new one before you start.
rotate the engine slowly using the flywheel with the spark plug in and removed.
Note the movement of the rockers, at the top end of the stroke ( piston coming towards you ) after the inlet valve has closed ( lower one ) both of the rockers sholug be flat across the head and both of the rockers should be the same distance off the the head.
If the inlet is a bit lower then it is either stuck or the valve seat has come loose.
You can confirm this by removing the carburettor and shining a bright torch down the inlet hole.
If you can see light when looking in the spark plug hole then the valve is not closed properly.

HarmonySeeker

Threads
I have a Briggs and Stratton push mower it's a 300E series went to crank it and it wouldn't start and i then put just a bit of gas in the carb to try to help it crank and it didnt help it and i went to try to crank it again and flames came out of the carb that happened twice so any help would be nice
Wear Flame Retardant, Long leg pants before attempting to start. That's all the help I can offer.