Need help with my Briggs and Stratton Intek 16.5 hp mower

Jack_campbell25

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Need help with my Briggs and Stratton Intek 16.5 hp mower
This is what’s happening please help
Mower starts but leaks oil
-Leaking oil from what appears to be the head gasket.
-Replaced head gasket and won’t start
-Sprayed carburetor spray in air filter and it tried to start
-Took gas out and put new gas in and sprayed carburetor spray and it started up and black smoke came out of the exhaust and I turned it off
-tried to start it without the spray and then with the spray and it wouldn’t start
-next day saw oil coming out of the valve cover and it seems to be built up in the piston rod chamber.
-new gas, new head gasket, new valve cover, valve adjustment, oil was light brown.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check your oil level.
If it is high the carb is leaking and needs a clean / rebuild because the float is not stopping the fuel flow which because of EPA regulation now overflows into the engine and ends up in the sump.

Jack_campbell25

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check your oil level.
If it is high the carb is leaking and needs a clean / rebuild because the float is not stopping the fuel flow which because of EPA regulation now overflows into the engine and ends up in the sump.
My oil level is low, I’m losing oil at the head gasket area because the gasket is wet but i have replaced it twice now and I keep getting oil into my valve cover and the piston rod chamber has oil on the bottom of it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Is the oil thin & smells a bit like fuel ?
The head asket on these engines is the fail safe measure
If fuel leaks into the cylinder it will blow out the gasket when the engine comes up to compression stroke.
There engines blow head gaskets regularly
On a lot of them I have to stone both the head & the cylinder to get a flat surface as some seem to undercut into the pushrod tunnel.

Jack_campbell25

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is the oil thin & smells a bit like fuel ?
The head asket on these engines is the fail safe measure
If fuel leaks into the cylinder it will blow out the gasket when the engine comes up to compression stroke.
There engines blow head gaskets regularly
On a lot of them I have to stone both the head & the cylinder to get a flat surface as some seem to undercut into the pushrod tunnel.
Yes it kinda does look thin and smell like gas. Well it’s weird cause it blew so I put a new one on and then it blew again. What do you mean stone both the head and cylinder?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The heads wear between the cylinder hole & the push rod tube hole.
So for the head, you can lap it on a piece of wet & dry on a sheet of glass.
Anything finer than 400 will usually do
For the block you cant do that so I use an oil stone to flatten the block under the gasket .
Some times you get a really bad one that needs a copper head gasket which I get from Lanni @ Coppegasketsus
So Stoning to a Aussie is the same as lapping but you use an oil stone and the bigger the better.
One of the workshops I ge t JD parts from has a mill with jigs for doing thes Intec heads & barrels because they had such a bad run with them blowing head gaskets.

The B & S rep said the weak gasket was intentional to prevent bending or breaking rods if you get a hydraulic lock sounds almost believable .

The gas collects in the cylinder and when the piston gets to TDC blows out the head gasket because liquids can not be compressed like air can .
So triple check that the carb is cutting off the fuel