Need Help with Governor Springs: Briggs & Stratton 190cc w/ Idle Down - on a Craftsman Pressure Washer

SamD

Threads
  • / Need Help with Governor Springs: Briggs & Stratton 190cc w/ Idle Down - on a Craftsman Pressure Washer
Need help determining IF a spring is needed and which spring that would be if the answer is YES.

Model of Pressure Washer: CMXGWAS020734
Model of B&S Engine: 124P02-0009-F1
Model Year: March, 2019

So, I just bought this today thinking it was a carb problem (per seller description), but when cleaning the unit, I noticed a piece of what looks like a spring hanging from a hole on the front of the carb housing/cover. I moved the governor arm/linkage to the rear like the internal governor gears would do, but there is NO return resistance on that arm/linkage.

There are two holes that look to me like a spring should be there, one on top of the butterfly shaft (near where the governor arm attaches) and another on the steel carburetor mounting hardware. A photo showing these two areas circled in the color RED with a line drawn between them is attached. There is also a photo of what looks like a piece of old spring hanging from the carb housing.

Other items I've attached are photos of the unit for a better idea of the motor I'm working one, a photo of the linkage as it is now coming from the engine AND at the carb, and two pages from a parts catalog showing the governor and carburetor springs. I'm thinking that I need item 209A in the parts diagram which is B&S part number 793604, but I'M LOOKING FOR CONFIRMATION OF THAT BEFORE ORDERING. The RED "Xs" mark parts I'm pretty sure I can rule out for this.

Searching for B&S parts diagrams hasn't been helpful as they don't show where the various springs go on the engine, and I've struck out on YouTube videos trying to get a glimpse of that spring setup. I've run a number of searches here before posting, all with no luck.

Hopefully one of you fine folks can help me solve this little mystery. THANK YOU!

Attachments

• IMG_6422B.jpg
    IMG_6422B.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_6422.JPG
    IMG_6422.JPG
    278.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6420.JPG
    IMG_6420.JPG
    400.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_6421.JPG
    IMG_6421.JPG
    374.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6423.JPG
    IMG_6423.JPG
    353.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6418.JPG
    IMG_6418.JPG
    276.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6419.JPG
    IMG_6419.JPG
    260.9 KB · Views: 31
  • full.png
    full.png
    101.8 KB · Views: 43
  • full (1).png
    full (1).png
    66.7 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

SamD

Threads
  • / Need Help with Governor Springs: Briggs & Stratton 190cc w/ Idle Down - on a Craftsman Pressure Washer
Nobody? Really?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
This probably will not help but here is how a 121p02 with idle down is setup. I haven't ran into your model yet. but i believe you have the right idea of where the spring goes.

1650413017997.jpeg

SamD

Threads
This probably will not help but here is how a 121p02 with idle down is setup. I haven't ran into your model yet. but i believe you have the right idea of where the spring goes.

Thank you! I haven't run into this system yet, until I bought this pressure washer.

In short, I do need a "counter-force" spring to work opposite the spring pulling the governor lever in the other direction, right? The governor arm on the unit I've got just kinda flops around, and I think that's why she won't run correctly.

techgeek69

Forum Newbie
Threads
did you ever find out the correct spring connections?

I've got the same generator, same situation, missing the two springs for choke & governor and I'm not sure how to properly route them.

Anyone have a service manual or something that shows where they hook up?

Thanks!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads