Need help on transmission choice.

tylertown

Threads
I posted earlier that I really like manual gear transmissions and that I’m leery of the reliability of the hydrostatic transmissions and the maintenance problems others seem to have.
Could anyone help to direct me to what to stay away from if I decide to buy a riding mower with a hydrostatic transmission.
I’m spoiled with the lack of maintenance required on the 14 year old Craftsman mower I have. Belts, oil changes, greasing and fuel filters and that’s about it.
If I knew that I could buy the exact same mower today and get the same results, that’s what I would probably do.
Thank you.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You must remember that you get what you pay for. Personally I would stay away from anything built by MTD, just cheap all the way around. My suggestion is to purchase a brand name unit sold at a dealership, where you will have help it anything should go wrong.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
First thing to look for is an oil filter and drain plug on the transmission. That will rule out about 90% (100% ? ) of what's out there in the homeowner line. I did get a flyer from Ranch King and they list a couple riders with a manual shift transmission. Kind of interesting.