Need a Zero Turn, 1st purchase

MudHole

Threads
When I got my house my father gave me a spare Cub Cadet LTX 1042 thats at least 8-10 years old. Its worked well but im looking to step it up a bit and get a decent ZT. I live about 1hr east of Raleigh NC if this helps any, most brands can be found within an hour drive which is OK by me, I'll 9/10 be doing all service myself except anything that may fall under warranty work.

I mow about .75-1acre of property with a mix of tall fescue in the back and bermuda in the front equally split in size. very slight gradual incline from front to back and the front has a grassed drainage swale up by the road. Mower needs to do well with a mulching kit, I have no plans/desire to bag. I will not be buying another cub cadet after the hard start nightmares I've dealt with on this LTX since it was purchased. I'd like to stay at 3500 +/- $100 but if I'm gettting substantially more I'd be OK stretching it to 4300 MAX, not including a mulch kit if needed. Looking to stay 42-48" deck, open to smaller if for any reason it will give a better cut but not convinced I need/want bigger than 48.

My list so far, open to suggestions and opinions, feedback on how well they cut and will do mulching.

*JD Z365R - Comes with mulch kit already, largest HP engine in the 48" size deck. Hesitant from all the spindles my father has eaten through on his Z4XX JD, not fully welded fram
*Hustler Raptor X or XL in 42" - XL is at my cap, is the engine difference worth it?
*Gravely ZTX 42: - Its a kholer 7000 engine, will I have similar issues as my current CC ? Seems all other models are above my price cap.
*BigDog Alpha 42 - not fully welded frame

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Being a Toro guy I would take a serious look at the Toro Timecutter line. All they units are fairly decent units. Best thing I can tell you is give each one a good test drive, talk to the dealer about why his is better than the others. Get down to two, then test drive each again. In the end go with your gut about which one you like best and which dealer you like best. If still undecided go with the dealer you feel will be the most helpful in the future.

MudHole

Threads
Being a Toro guy I would take a serious look at the Toro Timecutter line. All they units are fairly decent units. Best thing I can tell you is give each one a good test drive, talk to the dealer about why his is better than the others. Get down to two, then test drive each again. In the end go with your gut about which one you like best and which dealer you like best. If still undecided go with the dealer you feel will be the most helpful in the future.

I'm not sure why I never looked at them. The timecutter 42" with myride (even without) looks pretty nice, I'll be adding that to the list.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome Aboard-

Toro has been around for about 108 years.. I had my Timecutter 4260 for 7 years, it never had an issue,..

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Toro Timecutter 42
Ariens Ikon HD 42
Gravely ZTX 42
Hustler Raptor XL
Big Dog Alpha 42: the specs state that the frame is fabricated. It is essentially the same mower as the Hustler Raptor XL
Compare each and get the best bang for your money. Buy from a servicing dealer with a good reputation.

MudHole

Threads
Did some preliminary fiddling today. Sat on a timecutter with myride, badboy, ariens and JD.

Hands down the timecutter was the most comfortable and the ariens next. The rest i didn't find comfortable in the least bit.

Going to head to some dealers (non big box stores) tomorrow and see what kind of a deal I can get. I've opened my options up to the 50" TC with kawasaki engine and 52" ariens with kawasaki motor.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did some preliminary fiddling today. Sat on a timecutter with myride, badboy, ariens and JD.

Hands down the timecutter was the most comfortable and the ariens next. The rest i didn't find comfortable in the least bit.

Going to head to some dealers (non big box stores) tomorrow and see what kind of a deal I can get. I've opened my options up to the 50" TC with kawasaki engine and 52" ariens with kawasaki motor.
The Ariens is a beefier machine.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm thinking the 50" TC is a stamped deck ?

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Fabricated. Haven't checked the guage steel but from looks the edge may be too ariens.
The frame is more robust on the Ariens. I once owned a Toro Timecutter MX5000. I put the Timecutters in the same class as those whimpy JD residential zero turns sold at the big box stores.