Need a riding mower...1 acre, hilly and steep inclines

Elusiv

Threads
  • / Need a riding mower...1 acre, hilly and steep inclines
I have a Craftsman YTS3000 which is now parked in my driveway. Transmission went out completely. The unit is about 10-12 years old and was free so I am going to replace it.

I need something that can handle hills/inclines pretty well and I also need to be able to pull a Brinley lawn Sweeper. My budget is $2,000. I've been looking at a Cub Cadet XT2 46" 24hp model which I think I can get for that price but I have ZERO clue if I am getting the best bang for my buck.

Thanks,

David

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Dollar for dollar you are always going to get more if you stay away from Cub Cadet, John Deere, and alike. Look at equipment like Poulan, Husqvarna and others. You will always get more for your money from the mower guys trying to compete with the bigger companies.

Elusiv

Threads
Thanks for the advice. Brand name by and large doesn't mean that much to me as long as I am getting quality.

One thing I am not sure that I should be concerned about or not...the transmission. I may have flat out killed the YTS3000 because I was pulling the lawn sweeper during the previous cut and it may have had too much weight in it (not sure). I take negative reviews I read online with a grain of salt so I am not sure if I should put any stock in the tuff torq k46 comments.

Moving into a "garden tractor" looks to add about $1,000 onto my budget for a heavier gauge transmission. But I am also limited to a 42" or 46" deck (shed doors are 60" wide) and most of the garden tractor are 50" cut or greater (total width of about 60". So I am not sure I can actually get a full fledged garden tractor. That said, the k46 is pretty much in everything as far as I can tell. Is this something I should even be concerned about? Or are certain brands/designs known to be better able to deal with this?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
The K46 is a light weight rear end. It should be able to handle around 300 lbs including the driver.

Elusiv

Threads
The K46 is a light weight rear end. It should be able to handle around 300 lbs including the driver.

Ya, that was probably my issue with the craftsman...im 180 and I easily had 70-80 lbs. of grass plus the weight of the brinley.

Any suggestions on equipment that might have a better transmission?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
For $2000 I feel the best mower in this price range is a cub cadet.
I like husqvarna but still feel the cub is better mower in the $2000 price range.
I got one a couple years ago for $1500 at tractor supply. I have pictures on here of it cutting 4 foot tall weeds. I put 900 hours on it and sold it for $750
Never had to replace the drive belt

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is why people come here for help. Lots of opinions to help make a decision.

NorthBama

Threads
I agree with BlazNT. I think the Husqvarna is a better built machine. Just my opinion

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
What ever you do just stay away from junkdeere's.

To be honest in this price range just get the mower that you like the looks of and is comfortable to sit on.
But with your hills and pulling a sweeper I would stay away from the hydro drive.