MZ Deck Pivot Lever replacement question

kevinc1980

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2014 Bad Boy MZ Magnum 54" and the right Deck Pivot Lever has broke. It appears the only way to remove it to replace it is grind off the weld where it is welded to the shaft that goes through the frame rail. Both the left and right are welded to that shaft. Am I correct that this weld needs to be ground off in order to replace that broken piece? Just trying to verify before I break it further while fixing it, otherwise it still is a great mower. For reference it is part # 031-1020-00 item # 15 on the diagram on page 29 of the owners/parts manual.

lugbolt

Threads
yup grind the old off, position the new one close to where it needs to be and weld it. Then a few years later repeat. They don't last long. Kind of a poorly thought out deal, but it was cheap for them to make them-which is why it's done that way.

Ron3

Threads
Looks like pretty good weld to me , did it break on the weld ? I have a mz42 same setup.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The arm usually breaks off, right next to the weld
That will be an early morning special.
Electric welding of steel that is at near freezing point .
Causes a very abrupt border between the parent steel and the Heat Affected Zone which is brittle.
I would have hoped by 2020 all production managers would have been aware of the need to preheat when welding very cold steel considering it was a problem that was first encountered during WWII when electric welding was in it's infancy.

Ron3

Threads
Well at least you have something to weld to, not one of those 13 ga stamped decks. Easy fix for a good welder.

kevinc1980

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looks like pretty good weld to me , did it break on the weld ? I have a mz42 same setup.
arm broke right next to the weld. and I could try to weld it back but due to the location of the break can only get to one side. Rather replace it than halfway fix it.

zuteduff

Forum Newbie
Threads
Kevinc
Any luck on replacing rhe pivot.lost onw on mine this morning.. terrible engineering design....

kevinc1980

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yea, I ground the weld down and removed the old pivot arm then repositioned the new one and welded it on. Wasn’t that hard to do just took a little bit of time.