MZ Bad Boy 0 turn drive belt

goat roper

Threads
Replacing transmission drive belt on MZ Bad Boy 0 turn, anyone had the honor? (sarcastic)

ken2

Threads
Replacing transmission drive belt on MZ Bad Boy 0 turn, anyone had the honor? (sarcastic)
Nope. I have the belt so I'm ready. My mower has 59.2 hrs. Hope it doesn't need a belt for a while. I already had to replace the hour meter. The BB looks easier than my TORO.

goat roper

Threads
I thought it would be a walk in the park, but the park had lots of holes, hills and was not a pleasant job to
to say the least. Good luck with yours, and don't expect to be done in an hour!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First trick is to get it nice & high off the ground, remove the deck belt and slide it well out of the way
Then take a couple of photos for refference, particularly the spring mounting point
Unplug the wires to the PTO
some have a joiner near the engine , others are on top of the actual clutch and these have a retainer which is impossible to get a human finger onto .
Remove the belt tension spring , a spring hook is handy for this but a lot of springs have no clean access for a puller .
Never having done your engine, some times this can not be done but you can use a ratchet tie down to stretch the spring back far enough to slip the belt off the tension pulley
Most commercial level mowers will have a square hole for a 1/2" or 3/8" breaker bar in the tension arm for you to stretch the spring
Getting the belt over the top of the drives is the frustrating bit . Some are so close you have to turn the belt sideways to get them on.
Leaving the belt in the sun for a couple of hours to soften it a bit can help greatly
If the tension arm has a grease nipple then grease it
IF not pull it off, check for wear, grease the pivot then reinstal

goat roper

Threads
First trick is to get it nice & high off the ground, remove the deck belt and slide it well out of the way
Then take a couple of photos for refference, particularly the spring mounting point
Unplug the wires to the PTO
some have a joiner near the engine , others are on top of the actual clutch and these have a retainer which is impossible to get a human finger onto .
Remove the belt tension spring , a spring hook is handy for this but a lot of springs have no clean access for a puller .
Never having done your engine, some times this can not be done but you can use a ratchet tie down to stretch the spring back far enough to slip the belt off the tension pulley
Most commercial level mowers will have a square hole for a 1/2" or 3/8" breaker bar in the tension arm for you to stretch the spring
Getting the belt over the top of the drives is the frustrating bit . Some are so close you have to turn the belt sideways to get them on.
Leaving the belt in the sun for a couple of hours to soften it a bit can help greatly
If the tension arm has a grease nipple then grease it
IF not pull it off, check for wear, grease the pivot then reinstal
You are pretty much right with what you say here, however dropping the transmissions and the tensioner do make it a lot easier that I found.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are pretty much right with what you say here, however dropping the transmissions and the tensioner do make it a lot easier that I found.
I have occasionally resorted to loosening the bolts to give me that 1/32" that was needed t get the SOB belt over those pulleys