Mystery part?

Maureen22

Forum Newbie
Threads
I thought replacing my drive belt on my AWD Toro 22 inch lawn mower would be easy, but I’m not a handy gal and bungled everything up. I think I finally got the belt on but can’t figure out where this spring goes? (Note to self: take before pics next time).

Can anybody give a clueless girl a hand? Hoping this pic attached properly... Thanks! F976B83E-5059-424E-B0BC-2004BC09D4B7.jpeg

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I'm guessing one end might go in that hole just to the right of your hand on the deck. But that's just grasping at straws. ThAt may be where the plastic cover attaches.
A Model number will be helpful so we can look at parts diagrams and try to figure it out, this link will tell you where you could find the model tag https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/toro-model-locator.aspx

Maureen22

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm guessing one end might go in that hole just to the right of your hand on the deck. But that's just grasping at straws. ThAt may be where the plastic cover attaches.
A Model number will be helpful so we can look at parts diagrams and try to figure it out, this link will tell you where you could find the model tag https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/toro-model-locator.aspx

The model is 20353. The two holes on the metal deck seem to line up with the screw holes on the plastic cover.

Maureen22

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did find this diagram and I believe it’s part 22, “spring extension.” But I still can’t figure out how it attaches... F033DC3D-24D5-488C-A957-204090B84B46.jpeg

dougand3

Threads
If you pull the drive engage lever, does the currently installed top spring expand and pulley moves to tighten belt? Try running/driving it, as is, and see what happens. Keep cover off, for now.
The most logical reason for a spring around tranny would relate to pulley to belt mating.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Maureen,
A loose spring will pull against the engagement spring.
So the engaagement spring will pull the belt tight.
The loose spring will pull the belt loose
If you get a reasonable flash light with a thin beam usually you can find a shinny bolt or hole where the spring was located.