my snowblower

spock

Forum Newbie
Threads
My snowblower is very very difficult to start when it is cold out..I thought it was done..and then a few weeks ago since it was warm , i started it and it started on the first try ?

I have about 5 or 6 yrs left here in NY before i move south and not need a snowblower. I would like this one to last...

It is a MDT runs on gas and i bought it used 5 years ago....

all answers and help is greatlly appreciated...

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
My snowblower is very very difficult to start when it is cold out..I thought it was done..and then a few weeks ago since it was warm , i started it and it started on the first try ?

I have about 5 or 6 yrs left here in NY before i move south and not need a snowblower. I would like this one to last...

It is a MDT runs on gas and i bought it used 5 years ago....

all answers and help is greatlly appreciated...

I think you mean MTD, and not MDT. Hard starting when cold could result from several causes like stale fuel, an inoperable primer, etc. How old is your machine? Single or dual stage? On many snowblowers with the Tecumseh engines the carb can be a headache. Unless yours is a real antique I am sure it will last a few more years, my Craftsman two stage is 22 years old now.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can you use that to move some of your rain ????? :rolleyes: :laughing:

About hard to start - Do you put synthetic oil like 0W30 in it ? A lighter oil will allow the engine to turn over easier when cold. I also have a magnetic oil warmer that can be placed on the engine to pre-warm the engine.

HCBPH

Threads
The more info that can be provided, the better chance of help. Model of blower or engine. Brand, size, rope and/or electric start. Problem just started or happened all along? Kind of like going to the doctor and saying "I'm not feeling good". Does he treat your hand, foot or head?

Usual things I've seen: stale gas, carb needs rebuilding or adjustment, bad points (if it has them), fouled spark plug. Those are the things that come to mind but there are others like bad primer or hose, fouled fuel filter, bad wiring, moisture behind the flywheel. More info is needed to help nail it down.

kermit911

Threads
Can you use that to move some of your rain ????? :rolleyes: :laughing:

About hard to start - Do you put synthetic oil like 0W30 in it ? A lighter oil will allow the engine to turn over easier when cold. I also have a magnetic oil warmer that can be placed on the engine to pre-warm the engine.

A magnetic oil warmer? That is awesome! I have heard of coolant warmers for trucks and big tractors, but that is a great idea for machines that don;t use coolant. I will need to look for one of those.

Dave

kevinrc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yeah more info is really needed, things generally have a tuffer time getting started when it's cold. My Craftsman Tractor usually needs a boost if it's cold because battery dies (low cold cranking amps) before it can suck gas up to the carb. Sits for a couple of weeks before I get back home. Engines need perfect fuel to air ratio before they will fire and it is hard to get that when it is cold.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
The one I have plugs into 110/115 and has magnets so it will stick to any oil pan that will hold a magnet. I've also seen ones that go in your dip stick tube. Try JCWhitney

A magnetic oil warmer? That is awesome! I have heard of coolant warmers for trucks and big tractors, but that is a great idea for machines that don;t use coolant. I will need to look for one of those.

Dave

tigercat

Threads
I use 5W-30 motor oil in mine. It turns over easier when cold. I also keep the garage at 45 degrees, That helps a lot also.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ya both my snowblowers run 5w30 I've started them at 10 degrees with a -20 windchill first pull

Kiss4aFrog

Threads
Yeah more info is really needed, things generally have a tuffer time getting started when it's cold.

More info is always nice like make and model so you have a clue what the OP is working on but it's also a 2 1/2 year old thread. I think it's fixed or gone by now :laughing: