My lawn mower will not turn over? I would greatly appreciate any help.

Mr.Quebedeaux

Threads
  • / My lawn mower will not turn over? I would greatly appreciate any help.
I was cutting grass and ran over a ant mound. My lawn mower died on me. Now when I try to start it sounds like it has too much compression to turn over. I changed the battery and still the same. I took out the spark plug and the motor spun perfectly. But when I put it back in the motor would not spin over.my riding lawn mower is a 2012 troy built pony. Any solutions?

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Please reply in the other thread with this topic

Mr.Quebedeaux

Threads
My lawn mower is a 2012 troy built pony.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
OP has mentioned that this is a 2012 Troybilt model 13WN77KS011 Appears engine model number should be a 31C707-3346-G6. May need to confirm with the numbers on the valve cover.

Does the engine appear to turn slightly and then stop, or starts to turn over like normal and then suddenly stops. If so then follow what I posted below.

Remove the valve cover and with the spark plug out turn the engine over until both valves are closed and the piston about 1/4 inch below TDC. Can be confirmed by either a light into the spark plug hole, or by putting a pencil in the spark plug hole to confirm position. Then check that the bottom valve clearance is .004-.006 and the top valve clearance is .005-.007. After you have confirmed both are within spec then roll the engine by hand and watch the valves, most likely the bottom valve should bump off of seat slightly before TDC on one of the strokes. If no bump off, that would mean that the compression release on the camshaft has broken.

Seems strange that it could happen like that but I guess the sudden stop could of jammed the mechanism.

Mr.Quebedeaux

Threads
Yes it acts like it wants to start and starts to turn over but suddenly stops. Not I did bump the key several times in a row and it did start one time. It ran normal. I could'nt tell any difference.

Mr.Quebedeaux

Threads
Could you please give me your explanation in layman's terms. Because I'm not a lawn mower mechanic. But I do know my way around tools.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That is in layman terms other the TDC which is Top Dead Center. Unless you don't know what valve is. And IL said compression release and not ACR.

With loose valve clearance can cause the push rods to become dislodged on sudden and the ACR on the camshaft can be easily broken especially if already close to failure. And the decompression is on the lower intake valve rocker arm.

Last edited:

Mr.Quebedeaux

Threads
Thank you for your help but I'm not that familiar with tools. But when I bring it to the mechanic what should I say is wrong with it..

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just tell the mechanic that it tries but won't turn over. He will figure it out pretty quick. You can mention compression release possibly not working if you want.

HarmonySeeker

Threads
Did you offer it a treat? My grand-dog will turn-over, fetch and speak for treats!