my hydro static rear end is junk

Threads
So... The rear end in my tractor is junk. The engine is a Briggs 12.5 vertical shaft and my rear end is horizontal and I don't have 90 degree gearbox to convert it. I plan on putting a solid steel axle in. Any ideas how to do this? Can I twist the belt to get that 90? Do I need to find a gearbox?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IT would help us to help you if we got the entire story
Like what machine you are playing with
In the early days when people were willing to pay a fair & reasonable amount for a ride on mower the factories fitted horizontal shaft engines with a twisted belt to get the drive to the transmissions
It just reduces the life of the belt

Threads
It a 90s White lawn mower and I have access to some steel, welder and a grinder so I can make something.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The very early ones had the engines with the crankshaft running across the mower so the drive pulley was hanging over the edge of the floor so the belt could run to a gearbox then a chain from the gearbox to the rear wheels .
Because the blades need to be spinning at full speed regardless of the ground speed a gearbox would be a good idea
Lots of old used 700 series Peerless boxes around which have both a bevel to convert drive orientation.
Most have provision for a brake .
Usually a chain & sprocket then to take the drive from the box to a strait through rear axel running through a pair of self aligning bearings
Should be an endless supply of dead 60's 70's & 80's mowers at junk yards that used this set up to pirate parts from
However most of them used small rear wheels .
However most rear ends have the same mounting centres so a simplier work around would be to get your hands on a replacement rear end then find a belt to fit .

Threads
okay, thanks for all the info. I'll keep my eye out for a 90 drive. The type of stuff I do with this mower is hard and surprised it made it as far as it did. I go lots of chains and sprockets around. Should be able to make something work hopefully .