My homelite 180 classic is still not running right.

metz12

Threads
  • / My homelite 180 classic is still not running right.
So, I am now in the process of trying to fix up my homelite 180 classic chainsaw but i havent got any luck. ive cleaned the spark arrestor screen in the muffler, cleaned the air filter, and cleaned the fuel filter. also i adjusted the carb and the idle speed but the thing still wont run on the choke wide open. half choke it will run o.k but not great. i think it could be the carb, but i dont want to go tearing into it if there is something easy that can be done to it. thanks in advance.

Last edited:

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
It is more likely to be the carburetor, start by giving it a good cleaning out, and if that doesn't work, buy a rebuild kit.

metz12

Threads
It is more likely to be the carburetor, start by giving it a good cleaning out, and if that doesn't work, buy a rebuild kit.

when i got the thing it had been sitting for a while so there could be some junk in the thing.

DaveTN

Threads
One thing you could do without dis-assembling the carb is to note how many turns it takes to bottom the "L" (low speed) and "H" (High Speed) screws out. Then take them out, spray in the holes with a wand on the carburetor cleaner. Reinstall the screws, bottom them out and back out to the original turns. You may have to tweak it a bit on the mixture screws, but sometimes that helps.

metz12

Threads
One thing you could do without dis-assembling the carb is to note how many turns it takes to bottom the "L" (low speed) and "H" (High Speed) screws out. Then take them out, spray in the holes with a wand on the carburetor cleaner. Reinstall the screws, bottom them out and back out to the original turns. You may have to tweak it a bit on the mixture screws, but sometimes that helps.

good idea! i will definitely try that. thanks.

DaveTN

Threads
You could take the top throttle plate off, remove the diaphragm and spray out the screen and any orifices and put back. Sometimes that inlet screen gets clogged up and starves the engine. Also I take a bread bag tie, strip the paper or plastic off and cut with diagnoal pliers at an angle to make it like a hypodermic needle with a sharp point on it. Make a small 90 degree bend in it and use it to gently poke down in the metering holes that come up into the carburetor throat. All near the throttle plate and are tiny, so get good light and maybe a magnifying glass! Just go down in the holes and squirt some carb cleaner in there at the same time and that should help.

themowerking20

Threads
Rebuild the carb...from personal experience 9 times out of 10 a 2cycle engine problem usually occurs with the carburetor usually a worn needle valve and stiff diaphragms are to blame

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
This may help

Attachments

• troubleshooting chart.png
    troubleshooting chart.png
    69.8 KB · Views: 6