Murry widebody trans problems How much fluid

troy-built

Threads
I have an older Murry widebody with as far as I can tell. It has a Gravely Hydrostatic Transaxle Transmission Peerless Tecumseh H2000 026 in it. It doesn't have a bellows and that's the ONLY trans info I can find on how much fluid it takes. If it had a bellows it would be easy I found that. It has separate rear fluid from the trans. Can anyone steer me to some info? I've spent 2 hours on the net with no help.
Thanks

Last edited:

troy-built

Threads
Ok I looked for another 2 hours and I do think you put 16oz 80/90w in the differential but nothing found on the on the hydro side other than filling it to the top and I don't think that's right is it?

troy-built

Threads
I have another easier question. What type oil should I use in the hydro side?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Look like someone besides me could answer these questions as I don't freely give out the info as I once did as to not to insult anyone.

First you don't top off the hydro section but you need a copy of the LTH Service Instructions for specific instructions on how to measure the fluid level but I can say that it uses Tecumseh 730228 synthetic oil.

troy-built

Threads
Look like someone besides me could answer these questions as I don't freely give out the info as I once did as to not to insult anyone.

First you don't top off the hydro section but you need a copy of the LTH Service Instructions for specific instructions on how to measure the fluid level but I can say that it uses Tecumseh 730228 synthetic oil.
Hi,
I want to thank you for responding you were a lot of help. Yea I didn't think topping it off was right. I figured someone would have chimed in by now but I guess not. What I have found out so far is there is very little out there on these trans. So I hope this thread will help others in the future. I haven't seen any service instructions anywhere.

This is an open forum I don't see why anyone would be insulted when you are trying to help and you know the answer.

troy-built

Threads
102 views and just one response. I guess most people don't know the answer either? From what I can find these trans are rarer then the ones with the bellows. If no one chimes in I guess I will fill it to the level like the one with the bellow.

Another question what can be used instead of the Tecumseh 730228 synthetic oil? That seemes to be hard to come by and expensive.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well with a little research the Tecumseh oil PN appears a 1 Quart, 15-50 WT synthetic oil. Mobil One 15w50 synthetic could be a cross for it, also Kawasaki 99969-6501. Now both these does have a zinc additive. Now I have needed to order the Tecumseh oil so I don't know its actual specs on rather if it contains zinc or not.

Also this might make sense. 1.25 to 2 inches down from top of the hole.

troy-built

Threads
Well with a little research the Tecumseh oil PN appears a 1 Quart, 15-50 WT synthetic oil. Mobil One 15w50 synthetic could be a cross for it, also Kawasaki 99969-6501. Now both these does have a zinc additive. Now I have needed to order the Tecumseh oil so I don't know its actual specs on rather if it contains zinc or not.

Also this might make sense. 1.25 to 2 inches down from top of the hole.
Thank you so much that is what I was thinking from the top also. Now I can find Mobil one oil I actually think I have a qt of that here.
Where in the world did you find that info? So far I have looked, read and watched videos for 5 hours just to find the little info I found. Many thanks for your help.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The service info that I have is in my service manual files for Tecumseh. Even that isn't as good as it needs to be. I don't remember where I found it now that has been a long time ago when it comes to all the equipment has passed through my shop since. According the file date I acquired it on 7/31/2019 when I was working on a green Murray 425611X99B wide body here that had to replace the transaxle grommet seal on.

The hydro unit is considered non serviceable so there is no parts available.

I do know you don't want to separate the two modules; unless, absolutely necessary as the alignment tool is no longer available.

troy-built

Threads
The service info that I have is in my service manual files for Tecumseh. Even that isn't as good as it needs to be. I don't remember where I found it now that has been a long time ago when it comes to all the equipment has passed through my shop since. According the file date I acquired it on 7/31/2019 when I was working on a green Murray 425611X99B wide body here that had to replace the transaxle grommet seal on.

The hydro unit is considered non serviceable so there is no parts available.

I do know you don't want to separate the two modules; unless, absolutely necessary as the alignment tool is no longer available.
Oh no I won't be taking it apart for sure. I did have some of that oil here so that was a lot of help. I had to replace this trans axle about 12 years ago but it has been sitting in my chicken coop for 10 years before I pulled it out last year and got it running again. I doubt that it has many hours on it. The reason I stopped useing it was because the engine oil pan started leaking.

I have a totally different question. I just noticed that one wheel had a key in the key way and the other side doesn't have one. Is that because the axles turn in opposite directions?