Murray riding mower brake shoe

Scooter_1969

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was given an old murray riding mower (I'll have to get the model # etc. off of it and update the post). the main issue it has is NO brakes. I've tried adjusting them etc but still if I'm going down a slope no brakes at all. if i'm on flat ground a little bit of brakes. I've been to several mom and pop repair shops looking for the break shoe and no carry's them or can find them. Anyone on this forum have any insight????

Ok I knew I posted this before.. here's the model number info..

1620229741609.png

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you get the units model numbers we will be able to help you. Until then we will only be guessing, which will not be of much help.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
By editing your original post no one new what to look for or knew you posted the units numbers. You have a Dana/Spicer/Foote transaxle which is NLA. Part number 4728 assembly kit brake cone is also NLA You’ll have to search the web to see if anyone happens to have a leftover in stock.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The brake pads should be the same as the Tecumseh PN 799021A Brake pad (Stens 240-366, Rotary 05-7158).

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Maybe if you looked at this old thread you posted in May of 2018 you might find the answer to your question. I think this guy is playing us????

Last edited:

Scooter_1969

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks for the replies. I bought the brake pads which were not the same length as the old ones. I still tried them and still no brakes. tried adjusting them still no joy. It might be time to buy a new mower... thanks again.//

Scooter_1969

Forum Newbie
Threads
I followed the instructions on how to adjust the brakes. still looking for brake pads. the two sets I've bought are not the right length. My plan is to stop by a mower repair shop that has a grave yard of mowers to see if they have the pads on a old Murray mower.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Length is not really important
I fit Tecumseh pads to everything that takes a rectangular pad.
Did you fit the shim that goes between the pins & the front pad ?
What usually happens is the pins get rust on them so you need to pull the calliper, and polish the pins.
Apply some dry lubricant like Dry Lube or white chassis grease